• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HELP! My phone tends to get warm, should I return it?

salhalwa

Lurker
Jul 1, 2012
Hi there

First of all, I just wanna mention that this is my first Android phone and I'm very happy with it (used to be a BB user, then an iPhone user, and now Android)

However I did notice that my phone tends to get warm in the lower part (backside). I googled this and came across the following article

Samsung acknowledges Galaxy S3 heat-related issue | Ubergizmo

So naturally I started to panic. A friend of mine (Android user) told me that it's normal for a phone as powerful as the S3 to get warm when I'm using it. However, I have never had this issue with the Blackberry or the iPhone so I'm worried I got a faulty unit

I have installed the app "Phone Overheat" to keep an eye on the phone's temperature. So far, the temperature has been fine and tends to get around 38 degrees Celcius when I use apps such as an emulator while other 3-4 apps are open in the background. What has me worried is that I can still feel the heat through the TPU case I'm using.

So please tell me, is it normal for the S3 to get a little warm, especially in that area? When should it start to become a concern?

Should I return it and ask for an exchange? I've had the phone for less than a week

It is perfectly normal for the S3 to get warm while in use. If gaming or talking on the phone for long periods of time you phone will get warm. The processor used in games gets warm as does the transmitter used by the phone.

Warm is OK. Just relax and enjoy for new phone.

how hot does it have to get before I start worrying?

I'm a bit of a worrier lol

Upvote 0
The Snapdragon S4 while it may feel like your phone is hot is one of the coolest running processors out there right now. Phones rocking these kind of tech specs will naturally get warm. If you're not used to it, I can see where being paranoid about the thing overheating or exploding comes in.. But trust me when I tell you you're fine and nothing will happen. Out of the 25 million Galaxy S3's sold so far ONE was faulty and shorted out/overheated.

Relax, watch this video, and enjoy your phone.

Snapdragon Insider Blog - How cool is a Snapdragon S4 Processor?

Upvote 0
An external energy source was the cause for the GALAXY SIII that appeared to have heat-related damage

An external energy source was the cause for the GALAXY SIII that appeared to have heat-related damage

Samsung contracted Fire Investigations UK (FIUK), an independent third-party organization, to determine the exact cause of the damage inflicted on a GALAXY SIII unit, which had allegedly been affected by heat.

The damaged device and additionally provided devices were examined and exposed to a series to tests. The investigation summary states that “The energy source responsible for generating the heat has been determined as external to the device” and “the device was not responsible for the cause of the fire.”

Additionally, the investigation results state, "The only way it was possible to produce damage similar to the damage recorded within the owner's damaged device was to place the devices or component parts within a domestic microwave."

The device user in Ireland has posted on "Boards.ie" admitting that he was responsible for the damage.

An external energy source was the cause for the GALAXY SIII that appeared to have heat-related damage | SAMSUNG TOMORROW Global

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones