• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help, Please: Syncing With a Macbook Pro.

Hello, all:

First post here. My wife uses an HTC Hero(Sprint). She would sync it with her PC laptop that contained Outlook. All of her e-mail, contacts and single calendar were in Outlook. The e-mail provider is Verizon.

The laptop crashed, and we decided to buy an Apple Macbook Pro. We loaded it with Microsoft Office for Mac Home and Business Edition 2011. We thought it would be a simple task to load evrything into the Outlook for Mac and sync away with the Hero. No such luck. Through various forums online, I have found that Office for Mac is unable to be synced to an Android phone.

It seems, and correct me if I'm wrong, we can still use Outlook to receive e-mails through Verizon. We have to use Apple's iCal as the calendar, and we have to use Google as a syncing calendar and as a place to store contacts. I understand that she has to then use a gmail account for this purpose. She has created such an account.

Last night, I created a few test events in iCal tried to sync them to the Google Calendar. No go. I followed Google's intructions but to no avail.

1. Am I approaching this new venture correctly,i.e., using iCal and Google and using Google as the app to sync to the Hero?

2. How do I sync the iCal information into the Google calendar and contacts?

3. How do I sync the Google calendar and contacts into the Hero? Note: the Hero's current calendar is tied to the old pc's Outlook calendar.

4. Do I still need to rely on Office for Mac inorder to send and receive the Verizon e-mails? That is my wife's main (read: one and only) e-mail address.

Thank you very much.

Dan

Thread moved to the troubleshooting section. I wish I could help you, but I only own one Apple product, and that is a first generation Apple iPod Touch 16 GB, which I do happen to love even now that a fifth generation is coming.

Hopefully someone with a little more experience with your issue will chime in. My sister has an Apple MacBook Pro and I have used it and know its ins and outs pretty well, but not with the calendar syncing and what not, unfortunately.

Upvote 0
Is it still the case that OUtlook for the Mac 2011 cannot sync with Android? I've tried, unsuccessfully. When I created a CVS file and went through Gmail, I was able to get my contacts onto the phone, but everything wound up being in the "Notes" section. In other words, useless. I'm even open to a commercial app for help. Any thoughts?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones