• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Retrieving Data From Screen Locked P20

Owen Lewis

Lurker
Jun 22, 2021
Hi - wondering if anyone out there can think of a solutions to this...

So, my wife cracked her phone screen (Huawai P20) and bought a cheap phone to use short term while we worked out a replacement (Alcatel 1). When setting up the temporary phone, not all of the data from her P20 was install/copied, mainly because there's not enough storage space to hold it all.

Some of the data left on the P20 is really important (downloaded documents/files and pevious whatsapp history), so I was going to hook it up to a PC and grab all the data from it, but the biggest problem is she can't remember the unlock pattern. I know developer mode/USB debugging is not turned on, so I can't even get a PC/ADB to recognise it, plus I've had to connect it to a mouse and monitor (via HDMI/USB adapter) to even view/control the unlock screen.

I'm pretty sure that without the pattern we have little or no options, but was wondering if anyone knew the answers to the following:

1. Is there any way to unlock the phone using the old PIN that was set (she's confident she knows this)?

2. Is there a way to unlock using the finger print sensor (even though is says 'pattern required due to restart')

3. Should ADB list it as a device even though USB debigging is turned off and the phone is screen locked (currently does not list it, but I thought you could PIN unlock via ADB)

4. Does anyone know any other tools/options for accessiing the files on the phone.
Thanks is advance for any help!

This is something of a conditional suggestion but if you're comfortable tearing down a smartphone, and you have the necessary tools and equipment, the ifixit site has a nice, step by step guide on replacing the screen/digitizer:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Huawei+P20+LCD+Screen+&+Digitizer+Replacement/129215
If your intentions are to try and restore this phone to working condition again, be patient and follow the directions closely. There are a lot of annoying glues and adhesives to account for, both disassembly and assembly. If you just want to get the phone working marginally so you can get that data copied off, you can cut corners accordingly, and possibly save on the display cost by just buying an old, used P20 or just random, salvaged parts.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply - but the main problem is that we don't know the pattern to get in. I've managed to get around the broken screen issue by using a HDMI/USB adapterto plug it into an exrternal monitor and mouse, but without the pattern, I just can't access the data...

Thanks for the idea though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones