• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HELP! Storage Isssues

Hope some one can help..
I have a Stylo 5
android v.9
build number PKQ1.190302.001
Software v. Q720P19a
If any of that helps
My problem is my internal storage is at 100%.. When i access settings>storage>internal storage it shows "Images & videos" at 8.2GB. When I click it, Im given the option to open with Photos or Gallery. (with my SD card removed) gallery shows nothing in file. Photos shows all my "backed up to the cloud" files.

can anyone help??? this is very frustrating not being able to use my phone as I should be able to
Thanks for any help

Thanks for the help... i ended up just factory resetting the phone

Unfortunately, now that you have reset the device before you were able to ascertain what was causing the issue, it will probably happen again.

Factory reset is always a last ditch effort, in my mind.
Also, it is a cheap way out for phone salespeople that really don't know (or care) about the devices they sell.

For future reference, check the cache in your gallery app, camera app, Google Photos, and any other app that touches your media.

Thumbnails and caches of apps can take up a huge amount of space, even getting to the point of basically disabling a device.

If it happens again, come on back and give us a bit more time to try to figure out exactly what is going on.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, now that you have reset the device before you were able to ascertain what was causing the issue, it will probably happen again.

Factory reset is always a last ditch effort, in my mind.
Also, it is a cheap way out for phone salespeople that really don't know (or care) about the devices they sell.

For future reference, check the cache in your gallery app, camera app, Google Photos, and any other app that touches your media.

Thumbnails and caches of apps can take up a huge amount of space, even getting to the point of basically disabling a device.

If it happens again, come on back and give us a bit more time to try to figure out exactly what is going on.
Thanks for the info... I did check the caches of what you mentioned and tried to clear them out, (following a couple YouTube videos advice) whether or not it actually did it, not 100%... I've been dealing woth this issue for almost a week now, It got to the point today, that i could do ZERO with the phone, so it kind of was "my" last ditch effort... But i certainly will come back of/when it happens again.. Thank you

Upvote 0
Something I forgot to mention-
apps such as Facebook, Facebook Messenger, Telegram, and many others like to store files in their own folders.

For instance, say you see a funny meme on Messenger, and you select 'Save To Device'.
The app has already made a folder just for Messenger, and the media from that app will be stored in there.

Depending on whatever Gallery app you are using, the placement of the file may or may not be immediately apparent.

Also, some apps, like Telegram, have the tendency to download every picture and video that you see while using the app.
Once again, this media would be stored in a folder that you may not be looking for immediately.

The worst offenders are apps that hide such data inside of their Android folders, andd the worst of the very worst keep files inside their root files- where you will have no access to them.

For a long while my Galery app was growing to almost 2GB in size every week- making it not only the single largest app on the device, but also about the same size as the system itself on one of my devices.
This was so infuriating!

It turns out that there is another 'cache' in the app, this one is not accessible by the user.

I had a few arguements with the developer over this, as he was trying to tell me that my device was just too low on resources.

I had to point out that although I agreed that my device is pathetic, it meets a standard that the vast majority of worldwide users are using {at the time, about 80% of devices were at this standard}.

Anyway, what was being stored here?
Evidently it was a 'copy' of every thumbnail from every picture and video, and maybe even some whole files, from media that I had deleted.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones