• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help with Calendar synch - Andriod 4.0.2

Jorgandar

Lurker
Dec 30, 2011
I am a liberated iOS user as of last week, i switched to andriod. I have the new galaxy nexus phone, and i had high expectations. I've been very disappointed so far. I have to say i hate it right now. I really hate it. Things that should be easy are difficult. Like getting calendars to synch. SO here's my issue:

If i go to the calendar app to add an appointment, it says "Before you can add an event, you must add at least one calendar account to the device...". OK..so i click "add account -> google". Then it says "Got Gmail? Sign in now!". Perfect, i'm thinking. This should be easy. Then i click sign in, and enter my gmail account & password.

Then it says: "Account already exists. There is already a <gmail.com> account on this device". Now i'm getting irritated. So what!? i'm thinking. My existing gmail account is the one i want to use. I'm far from stupid, and this should have worked.

So i go over to my settings to have a look: Under "settings -> Accounts & Synch" it lists my gmail account an synch is ON. Under that account, it has check boxes for "synch books, browers, contacts, email, blah blah blah". But it does NOT have "synch calendar" as an option. That is missing. Now i'm really irritated. There is no way to turn on calendar. THis is google's latest?? Are you kidding me? I'm trying to do a very simple friggen task, and i shouldn't have to go trough all this.

Maybe i've been spoiled with how clean apple was all this time, but this is beyond stupid. To me, google did a rush job. Does anyone know what else i could try to get this extremely basic calendar functionality working?

Sigh.

-J

Well, considering that the Galaxy Nexus was a developers phone and was intended to be bereft of many features simply because its a phone for developers to test their apps on, I'd say you chose the wrong phone. For some reason, geeks keep on pushing people to get a Nexus device when its just plain wrong in my opinion, especially for an iOS convert. Nexus phones intentionally did not have a lot of features, think of it as the base of the OS with only the most necessary and bare-bones stuff inside it. You would have been way better of with a Non-nexus Android.

I would suggest that since you're a Nexus user, just get apps off the Market. Use Jorte. From what I see it is one of the most highly recommended calendars off the market and syncs with Google Calendar with no problems. You could also use it stand-alone, meaning it does not sync and creates a local calendar database.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones