• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help with HTC Sync

Hi All

I would like to thank you all for having this discussion.

I received my HTC Magic on Friday and yesterday I sat down to try to get the latest version of Android onto it. I had already synced my contacts via Google Mail so I wasnt interested in installing the sync software but it turns out you have to install the HTCSync to get the drivers in order to run the OS update. Well after a lot of googling on how to do this on Windows 7, which usually ended up at the same place (install the Vista drivers), I found this thread which is the one that fixed the problem.

Turns out I had Motorola phone tools installed and when I removed this, and some other modem drivers, HTCSync (2.0.8 I think) installed OK, without having to have a copy of the Vista drivers.

I think another problem which might exist in the installers (for HTCSync & the Android update) is that the Setup programs do not require elevated privelidges, which is a no-no in the installer world. So I went into the compatibility settings and ticked Vista SP2 Compatibility and Run as Administrator. This seemed to do the trick. I was able to install the HTCSync and run the OS update.

Just thought I'd add my experience in case anyone else comes accross this issue.

Phil

Upvote 0
Hi Again.

Forgot to say this-HTC Sync installs a lot of processes, which I dont particularly like given the limited functionality. I'm hoping this will be cured over time, but in the meantime I'll be uninstalling this software until they come up with something better than syncing via Google Mail.

The product seems a bit immature at this stage.

A backup facility would be nice. I was surprised when the product did not contain this feature. I know you can download a product to do this but I'd rather not pay for something which really should come with the phone.

Still, M$oft dont seem to do much better with their OS backup program. I've had a lot of trouble with backing up my computer recently. You'd think they could at least get this right.

Phil

Upvote 0
The problem is that HTC Sync won't install on my PC. My PC recognises the phone but I can't get the actual Sync software onto my PC sadly. It loads on my girlfriends laptop but of course my info is on my PC and for some reason my old Sony Sync wouldn't load on her laptop - it's a bit more than frustrating ...
hi
sorry for my english !!!! i am french
i have the same problem i cannot install HTC sync on my pc (xp sp3)
i am looking for drivers lie this i can install manually htc sync
thanks a lot

Upvote 0
Dear all,

After a full sunday trying to install HTC Sync 2.0.33, I found a solution...

My computer is XP SP3 french under an active directory domain.
My account is Domain Administrator, and of course administrator of the local computer.

I used to launch setup using the run as... (with a right clic on the setup program).
Using the local administrator of the computer, it installs correctly !

I hope this can help many of you who are boring with the 1722 Error !

Regards,
Laurent

Upvote 0
Run as Administrator, is just for installing the setup program.

When using, no problem at all !!

I also found many other settings to deal with for a good Exchange sync...

Find attached a summary (sorry for the web sites from where I copy the informations) - (this summary is in french) :mad:

Note also to see "ActiveSyncTester.exe" witch can help debugging Exchange settings. This apps is free to use. ;)

Hope this can help most of you.:)

Attachments

• Exchange2003_DesireAndroid.pdf
    33.5 KB · Views: 67
Upvote 0
I have Outlook 2003 and it also sync'd fine with my HTC hero except I have many doubles and sometimes triples of the contact in the Outlook contact list now and some doubles in my Hero. I went through the Outlook list and deleted the duplicates (I have 750 contacts so it wasn't a small task). But, now I'm not sure what to do about the doubles on my Hero (short of deleting the duplicates on it) and what to do about the next time I need to sinc them. I am only using Outlook right now.

Upvote 0
use the sync that is on your sd card is a different version it will work

Just received the new Hero on Orange and found the forums. When I try to install HTC Sync on my PC I get an error message: "Error 1713. HTC Sync cannot install one of its required produts. Contact your technical support group."

I have AVG Antivirus which is disabled by turning the resident shield off.

Does anyone have any clues why Sync is not installing ?

Many thanks

Upvote 0
The HTC Sync software allows you to sync outlook contacts and calenders as well as install applications. ( for those people that have been using WM devices )

The software should be on the SD card of your Hero, Mount the Card as a USB drive and intall the software in the HTC Sync folder, (for windows only) Does currently have some issue with Vista and 7 as stated before.

Once installed reboot your pc and then plug your device in, launch the HTC sync software, plug your phone in, under the notifcations Tab on your phone choose sync HTC, you will then need to pair your phone, you can change the name of it at this point, similar to activesync. and away you go
i don't see a mount as usb anywhere on my hero notifacations pull down bar

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones