• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

jalcon

Mar 1, 2012
[My new Galaxy S5 does not seem to be getting great signal reception. It's constantly around -100-106 dbm. I downloaded an app that checks it every 1 minute and then produces the results in excel forumat. Other devices in my office (also on verizon) are getting much better reception

I went to the mall, and the Galaxy S5 there was around -80, while mine was -97. Obviously both Verizon. How is this possible, other than a faulty radio in my device?

I remember back in the day you could dial #228, but obviously with 4G you can not do that.

Should I return/exchange my phone?

I should add, if I power off the phone, take out the sim card, then reinsert it. The signal improves to like-84-88 dbm for awhile, then tapers off again to the -100s.

You can see in the circled area, if I do a restart, the signal is better for like 5-10 mins, then drops off again. I even tried to do all of these things in safe mode, same results.

jsg29i.png

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones