• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hero 2.1 relaunches desktop every time

I have noticed that, after uninstalling two desktops(?), LauncherPro and ADW Launcher, every time that I press the Home button the default HTC desktop is opened afresh and shows the HTC splash screen and spends time populating the screen. Before removing the new ones I would see a pick-list of desktop/launchers when the desktop was called. Maybe a switch was set to trigger this list but that it finds, when called, that only one desktop is available so automatically wipes what's there and relaunches HTC...

Can this behaviour be changed back?

This may be related (default actions confused) to my keyboard problem.

No, this is a memory issue. The home launcher is treated like an app. When the OS needs more memory, it closes things out in the background. Unfortunately, this can include your desktop. Check out what's running by going to settings (from your home screen), applications, running services. You might want to close out a few apps, or find replacements that use less memory, so the OS doesn't feel the need to close out your home screen.

Reactions: HappyJoe
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones