• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hero plan/price change?

stinky

Android Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2009
SoCal
When I was looking for good places to buy a Hero for Sprint, one of the best deals was on BestBuy website. However when I wanted to put the phone in my cart it forced me to select a new plan. The cheapest one was 1500 minutes and unlimited data for $140 for 2 lines. My current plan is about $30 cheaper and half the minutes (800) with eveything else the same.

So I printed out the price to go instore and get a price match if they didnt have the same instore pricing. To start with they wouldnt price match it (wtf?) but thats a different story. I told them I wanted the phone and wanted to keep my plan the same, he said no problem and we started the process of the new contract. But behold in this process his system was forving him to select a new plan for me. So I chose the $140 plan and am planning to call sprint and have it changed back.

Has anyone else had to do this? Is this only a BestBuy thing?Im a bit irritated because a major reason I didnt switch carriers long ago was I wanted to keep our cheap plan.

Thanks in advance, I will update once I call Sprint and see what they will do.

PS: Sprint did this to me years ago when I switched to their first Video cam phone, they made me go from Vison Pack, to "Power" vision pack which was more expensive, and I called them later and complained and they changed it back. $10 is a nice price for Unlimited Data! :) Hopefully they are still as generous.

While I can't say for sure whether or not you'll be able to switch back, I will say it's highly unlikely. Sprint requires you to have the "Simply Everything" plan for an Android phone. I don't think there is any way around it.

Strangely enough, when my wife and I upgraded our BlackBerry's to Android phones (I got the Hero, she got the Moment), the "new" plan cost a few bucks more and doubled our anytime minutes.

Upon shopping around, I discovered Sprint was the cheapest of the "big 3" (I didn't really look at T-Mobile). Still getting a great deal, or as great as you can from an American wireless company.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones