• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Hey peps, I need to backup....

zandersig

Android Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2012
Atlanta, GA, USA
Hey peps, I need to backup my Nexus 5, photos, downloads, system, Titanium Backups, everything on my phone including the 4.4.4 system... problem is I don't have enough internal space to do that... :-(

Is there a way to plug it in to my pc and run a Android Terminal and have it backup my phone and saved to my pc hdd in a .img format or something?

Also, will we be getting the "Lollipop" OS OTA update for our phones or should we stay on 4.4.4?

TIA.

You need to have SDK tools for this (either get mini version from AF or get platform tools folder from google's site). http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-nexus/general/guide-phone-backup-unlock-root-t1420351 the link (a guide that does the command on ICS but it's still relevant to kitkat as well) contains how to perform the backup and if you want to extract something specifically. The files that the terminal backup won't be compatible if you flash them on a different version of android (even the data partition would probably not be readable).

edit: Your phone needs to be running with usb debug on while doing this.

I'm not sure what your asking about the upcoming android update. If your on stock, youll obviously get to install it without wiping data via your systems ota app. Official releases aren't always perfect, if theres a major flaw then google will release a hotfix update promptly within a week of the release. This is entirely your choice to update, if you don't like the ui change or whatever your phone won't force the update to install.

Upvote 0
You need to have SDK tools for this (either get mini version from AF or get platform tools folder from google's site). [GUIDE] Full Phone Backup without Unlock or … | Samsung Galaxy Nexus | XDA Forums the link (a guide that does the command on ICS but it's still relevant to kitkat as well) contains how to perform the backup and if you want to extract something specifically. The files that the terminal backup won't be compatible if you flash them on a different version of android (even the data partition would probably not be readable).

edit: Your phone needs to be running with usb debug on while doing this.

I'm not sure what your asking about the upcoming android update. If your on stock, youll obviously get to install it without wiping data via your systems ota app. Official releases aren't always perfect, if theres a major flaw then google will release a hotfix update promptly within a week of the release. This is entirely your choice to update, if you don't like the ui change or whatever your phone won't force the update to install.

Hey man, yeah I have the sdk tools, I'm running TWRP so what command would I type in the Android Terminal to make it backup my whole phone and let it allow me to copy stuff out if the backup and/or reinstall it to my phone in case I don't like Android L?

I like how Google gives us the free os versions but they have been updating so much I can't uninstall any of the Google apps I don't use like news, photos, etc... I found this list of what I can safely uninstall, etc but as soon as I do that Google will come out with a new os or os update... lol

I use Titanium Backup but it can't do my whole phone like what I'm wanting.

Thanks man

Upvote 0
Hey man, yeah I have the sdk tools, I'm running TWRP so what command would I type in the Android Terminal to make it backup my whole phone and let it allow me to copy stuff out if the backup and/or reinstall it to my phone in case I don't like Android L?

I like how Google gives us the free os versions but they have been updating so much I can't uninstall any of the Google apps I don't use like news, photos, etc... I found this list of what I can safely uninstall, etc but as soon as I do that Google will come out with a new os or os update... lol

I use Titanium Backup but it can't do my whole phone like what I'm wanting.

Thanks man

Okay, your saying you can't backup all the user apps with titanium (don't backup music players that cache music if that helps)? I wouldn't backup any system app unless it's alarms or messages via titanium...

Unfortunately using the recovery's backup feature to save to the pc isn't possible unless you have a otg cable and flash drive (I don't know if there's a way to make a pc pretend to be a flash drive). Both cwrm and trwp support this. As you are selecting the partitions, you can select an otg backup in that same screen (just select the box that mentions storage).
To perform a backup with adb, you will get a file type .ab as your backup so it won't be compatible with twrp. Your phone can either be on normally with debug on or in recovery sideload. To perform a full backup all you need to do is open a command prompt (in windows) inside sdk tools, check to see if device is connect with "adb devices" and the type "backup -all" this file will generate in your sdk folder as backup.ab
I've tried this command myself and it prompts the backup for confirmation on our device:
Screenshot_2014-11-02-17-14-45.jpg
It seems to hang on the titanium files...it's been on it's folder for quite a while because my backups are a little over 1gb of data.

Edit: You can also try and transfer files that take up the most space until you have sufficient space to make a nandroid than transfer that backup to your pc. Also to restore the .ab file unto your system simply type "adb restore C:\[location]\backup.ab"

Upvote 0
Thanks Incakola! I will try the adb... but you are saying that I can't restore the .ab file to my phone? I don't want to use Titanium Backup (I have about 3gb of Titanium Backup files).

Is their a way to use TWRP to back up my whole phone (but I would need empty storage space on my phone to do that right?:.

Id recommend copying stuff from your "SD card" aka internal storage (pictures/movies/music/ect) onto a computer by simply plugging it in, dragging and dropping. Theres a backup of that.

Now delete those off the phone to allow space to make a nandroid backup which can then be copied over and saved to the computer.

After that just drag and drop your music/pictures/movies/ect back onto the device.

You now have all files backed up as well as a complete nandroid backup of your phone all saved somewhere safe :)

Reactions: zandersig
Upvote 0
Thanks Incakola! I will try the adb... but you are saying that I can't restore the .ab file to my phone? I don't want to use Titanium Backup (I have about 3gb of Titanium Backup files).

Is their a way to use TWRP to back up my whole phone (but I would need empty storage space on my phone to do that right?:.
If you really want a nandroid backup, follow rxpert's suggestion. The .ab file will work on a running version of whatever you backup of android.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones