• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hi and where are all the good small Android devices?

altnetid

Lurker
Oct 4, 2013
Hi

Until recently I was happy with a small phone with buttons. Then my faithful Nokia died and someone gave me a Samsung Galaxy Apollo to keep me going.

I'd always said I wasn't interested in a smartphone, but I found the Google sync and calendar really useful.

I played with the Apollo - CM7 with pretty much a fully ICS look and it was okay if a little slow. Then it died on me, so now I'm looking for a replacement.

Basically I'm looking for something no bigger than an iPhone that can do calls, SMS and calendar but ideally faster than the Apollo.

Camera would be nice, but not essential - everything else would be a bonus.

Obviously because I won't be using it as a true smartphone I don't really want to spend a great deal of money - so anything from the past few years would be fine as long as it can handle the basics very well and possibly a bit of rooting/modding if needed.

Some of the Sony phones look nice but don't get great reviews regarding performance - are the reviewers being overly critical of things I won't use?

Also looked at the HTC One V - would that be powerful enough?

Any other suggestions appreciated.

ps. a search for smaller Androids brings up lots of suggestions but they are not readily available in the UK

pps. I like the size of the iPhone but not a fan of the whole iUniverse.

ppps. What about the Goophone iPhone Android clones - are they any good?

Or Sony Xperia U or Huawei Ascend Y300. I have both and the're decently responsive with a decent camera (The Sony's is very good, much better than 5MP would suggest)
and the Sony is relatively easily rootable if that's your thing. It may be a bit old tech for you, but for small phones, the HTC Wildfire S takes some beating when rooted and running a decent custom ROM.

Upvote 0
Or Sony Xperia U or Huawei Ascend Y300. I have both and the're decently responsive with a decent camera (The Sony's is very good, much better than 5MP would suggest)
and the Sony is relatively easily rootable if that's your thing. It may be a bit old tech for you, but for small phones, the HTC Wildfire S takes some beating when rooted and running a decent custom ROM.

All look good.
Like the size of the Sony.
The HTC still holding its price and a lot of shabby ones about.
Thanks

Upvote 0
You might also want to take a look at Galaxy Ace series.

Only from a very long way away - the Ace is forever stuck at 2.3.6 with the internal storage limitations inherent with that version of Android.

For a similar price you can have the Huawei Y300; dual-core, 4" display, Android 4.1.2 etc. It's imho THE best value sub-

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones