• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hi From London

Terry1100

Nov 4, 2009
Hi All,

I'm a long-time smartphone and PDA user having graduated from a Psion 3 to a Psion 5 (via an early WinCE Sharp) and from then to a series of Symbian phones (Nokia 3650 and E70) to a Sony P900 running UIQ then back to a Nokia E90 before defecting to Windows Mobile with an Asus M530W

I gave up with that and switched to a SE dumbphone (the C510) once they started including Exchange Activesync but now I have an itch for another smartphone. Conveniently, I'm up for upgrade on my Vodafone contract and the Magic or Tattoo are both available free.

I know the Magic is better but the Tattoo has a lanyard loop (actually one of the "must haves" for me because of my usage of a handset) and what's more it has Activesync (unless Vodafone have crippled it in firmware).

I like the whole "community feel" to Android so I may be here for a while :D.

Terry,
London, England
www.gp800.org.uk

Hi Carl,

Thanks for that - I'm not sure about white :eek: but the other critical thing for me is the Exchange Activesync - and Vodafone support simply haven't got a clue.

Are you a Magic user ? - does it support Activesync ?

If it does, I'd be tempted over the Tattoo to get the better screen.

Terry

Upvote 0
Hi Terry :)

Currently The vodafone Models of the Magic do not support Activesync and I haven't heard of any plans for this to be supported in the Future.

Nor is Microsoft exchange , But this is supported in Android 2.0 whenever we may get the update .... {Their is currently apps on the market which do for now though}.

It sounds like the Tattoo may be the best option for you as it does have the ability with Activesync {I beleive}. Whatever you get I'm sure you will love Android :D

Just a HINT: If you get your phone from Vodafone online or over the phone you have a 7 day cooling off period which you can take advantage of and send the handset back if it's not for you. If you take it out in-store this cooling off period does not apply.

Carl C ;)

Upvote 0
Good call on the shop vs online (also, the upgrade deal might not be the same instore).

However with the current postal disruption I might chance the lack of the cooling off period in order to get the device in my hot and sticky mits.

I can pop in to Westfield on my way home - they've got a massive Vodafone store.

Upvote 0
Good call on the shop vs online (also, the upgrade deal might not be the same instore).

However with the current postal disruption I might chance the lack of the cooling off period in order to get the device in my hot and sticky mits.

I can pop in to Westfield on my way home - they've got a massive Vodafone store.

LOL I know what you mean you want it NOW!

But The postal strike Shouldn't effect your delivery , It is delivered by courier {at least it was for my orders} from Vodafone {DHL delivered it twice for me} rather than Royal mail so shouldn't be effected. When my Magic was ordered at 17:00 it was delivered the Next morning free aswell....

Either way you'll nicely get an Android :p and Yeah I'm not too far from Westfields! Nice variety of shops and very large too :D

Upvote 0
Hi All,

I'm a long-time smartphone and PDA user having graduated from a Psion 3 to a Psion 5 (via an early WinCE Sharp) and from then to a series of Symbian phones (Nokia 3650 and E70) to a Sony P900 running UIQ then back to a Nokia E90 before defecting to Windows Mobile with an Asus M530W

I gave up with that and switched to a SE dumbphone (the C510) once they started including Exchange Activesync but now I have an itch for another smartphone. Conveniently, I'm up for upgrade on my Vodafone contract and the Magic or Tattoo are both available free.

I know the Magic is better but the Tattoo has a lanyard loop (actually one of the "must haves" for me because of my usage of a handset) and what's more it has Activesync (unless Vodafone have crippled it in firmware).

I like the whole "community feel" to Android so I may be here for a while :D.

Terry,
London, England
www.gp800.org.uk

Welcome to the AF forums and enjoy your visits !! :cool:

Upvote 0
Ok, my Tattoo is on the desk right now charging.

If Expansys do their stuff and the screen protector arrives in tomorrows post I can start playing in earnest.

Carl - picked it up in the Vodafone store at Clapham Junction - had to commit to 24 months to get it free wheras the online deal would have let me off with an 18 month commitment - but what the hell, I've been with Vodafone for years and no plans to move - and the nice girl applied a credit to my bill anyway.

As long as they remember to stop the insurance that they will insist on adding every time you go near a new contract "one month free my a**e" them it'll be fine.

Upvote 0
Nice one Terry :D

24 Months is long but what the Heck :p Oh yes and make sure you take the insurance off yourself {you can do it now if you wanted}, you can't trust them to do it
biggrin.gif

I hope you enjoy your new toy! and if you need anything feel free to post back on AF!

Carl ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones