• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hi there, just a couple of questions to the AT&T users

OrKo

Android Expert
Feb 20, 2011
Boynton Beach, Fl
I've noticed that no one really posts nor replies the "all things root" section for this device, is that common?

Now I'm running stock 4.4.2 straight out the box since I just got this device no more than a month ago. I'm currently rooted (only) does anyone have a list of the lg/Google/AT&T apps that are safe to completely uninstall/delete from the device?

Another question, say something goes horribly wrong is there a way to unroot the 4.4.2 or even revert back to stock without having to downgrade to the 4.2 rom and update back to KK?

Thanks, OrKo

I don't know about the apps you can remove, since I don't have a G2. But to "revert back" you either have to have a backup (and the standard recovery can't do a nandroid backup (basically an image backup of the entire phone), so you'd have to go the long route.

As far as just unrooting, that depends on how you rooted. If you used an app or a program on a computer that doesn't have an unroot function, you;d have to know what files it changed. Otherwise, removing the /system/bin/busybox and /system/bin/su files and uninstalling the superuser app would do it. (The files may be in /system/xbin, not /system/bin, depending on a few things.)

Reactions: OrKo
Upvote 0
Why you guys are on this topic ...I have a lg g2 AT&T ..and the OTA update from AT&T has come in ..and I'm assuming its the 4.4 kit Kat update ...and when it trys to intstall it'll reboot in TWRP recovery mode and I'm told it has something to do with rooting (which is y I brought it up)...and it gets stuck in this mode and the only way I can get out is by typing this long ass code in ....and I have to do this a lot because everytime I get a WiFi signal it will download the update and bam stuck again ....is there any way to delete this recovery thing or turn it off somehow( from what I understand you can't delete it) its called TEAMWIN something. ...or is there a way to download the update and get through it...I don't know...sucks because I can't use the WiFi on this ...it'll only let me postpone the update 3 times in 4 hour periods and then it just downloads it (if I'm on WiFi signal of course) ....any info would be helpful ...probably should've made a new topic....thanks

Upvote 0
As far as just unrooting, that depends on how you rooted. If you used an app or a program on a computer that doesn't have an unroot function, you;d have to know what files it changed. Otherwise, removing the /system/bin/busybox and /system/bin/su files and uninstalling the superuser app would do it. (The files may be in /system/xbin, not /system/bin, depending on a few things.)

Yea I know about uninstalling su, deleting the xbin, busybox and su folders in the system from using this method on other devices. I just wasn't sure if using that method would completly remove root on this device.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones