• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

jemma75

Lurker
Jul 9, 2011
Hi Guys,
Im a little new to this android, app stuff etc. But would like to know how I hide certain pictures from my gallery :eek:. I cant seem to move or hide them to another folder and they show up from the jump. I saw a post regarding creating a file etc...but if anyone can explain it in a bit more detail it would be much appreciated. I have only had my phone for a week so still very new at it.

Thanks Jemma

Hello Jemma.

Here are the steps to create the .nomedia file to stop whatever appearing in your gallery. ( Copied from the XDA website ).

Download ES File explorer (its free)
Install and open it
Navigate to the folder you want to exclude (remember it propagates down e.g. if you place it in the root of SD then the whole of SD is excluded including all the sub-folders)
Press Menu and select "new"
Select "File"
Call it .nomedia
Rescan your memory Cards.

Once done, you can copy and paste the file to other destinations that have media files in them and you want to hide from the galley.

All the best.

Ray

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones