• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

High quality movies?

andrizoid

Android Expert
Mar 25, 2010
after downloading my movie, i put it through the tune4mac converter to convert to mp4. movie plays fine but the quality is extremely low and it seems to be stuck in widescreen.

anyone know of another converter i could use that would put it out in a little higher quality and possibly with the option to remove widescreen?

thanks

If I am ripping a dvd then I use Dvdfab (not free), but if I am converting something from the web I use video to iPhone (free). Just Google convert video to iPhone.

When you are talking about widescreen I assume that you are having a problem with black bars. You will need something that will edit the actual picture at that point. Handbrake, super or convert all may be what you need.

Upvote 0
Just a thought, when searching for your media cut out the middle man and grab the file extension that will work without having to convert. I have always used m4v and mp4 extensions. Now I don't own an Eris yet (i have a Storm 1) but I do think that these file types will work.

Saves alot of time and frustration and why reinvent the wheel when its out there already.

My two cents.

Upvote 0
Just a thought, when searching for your media cut out the middle man and grab the file extension that will work without having to convert. I have always used m4v and mp4 extensions. Now I don't own an Eris yet (i have a Storm 1) but I do think that these file types will work.

Saves alot of time and frustration and why reinvent the wheel when its out there already.

My two cents.

While those files are fine 90% of the time. Not all encoding is created equal. If the file is not created properly it will not play or will not play with sound or will only play sound with no picture. Although, I will say that anything encoded for the iPhone works majority of the time without any problems.

Upvote 0
I use DVDfab as well. Awesome program. Well worth the money. I use the Blackberry Storm profile (in DVD to Mobile - Cell Phone) which creates high quality videos that run great with the Eris. They are h.264 (23.976 fps) with AAC audio and are 480 pixels wide (and crop automatically depending on aspect ratio of movie). I target .125 bits/pixels. You can download DVDFab and give it a try.

Upvote 0
The first thing I do when I get a new device is figure out the lowest acceptable file size of a DVDRip I can view on it. I personally use handbrake and the ipod option and have had great success. It's free, you can specify file size, it will give you the command line string so you can use it from a dos prompt (which is a tad faster) if you choose, and allows you to crop the screen to your heart's desire. I will give just two obvious but important not to forget encoding tips.

1. Audio bitrate is where you save space period. Very few times have I ever been anywhere watching a movie on my mobile device when I needed some super high quality sound. I personally use 96 or 64 for the bitrate and it is totally acceptable for me just remember that if you specify file size like it kind of sounds like you want to, the lower you make the audio bitrate, the more space you give back to the encoder to allocate to video quality .
2. Source. If you have some Xvid or DivX file that you downloaded from a newsgroup then your source is compressed and you can't expect a compression of a compression to look great video wise. Sometimes it will but it depends on what settings the original encoder of the file used and it is much easier to just use a Dvd source and count on quality.

Good Luck!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones