• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help High standby data usage "solution"

Heh, I use around 30-50 a day and thankfully I just switched to 6gb data plan [Canada]. Was on 500mb plan before and I came real close.

And for the record, my Milestone uses so much more data than an iPhone ahah.

lol I find this odd. Everyone else uses so much data?!??... are you not using free wifi? There is free wifi everywhere.. even at safeway when I'm shopping with my fiance.. Telus has hotspots as well which is included in my 50$ a month plan... i had call display added so a extra 7$ my bill dont go over 67$ with taxes included. When the end of the month comes I never use over 20mb in total so I try to download even more... you are all talking gig data plans??? ya ok on my computer I can easily download a 300+ gigs in a month with 5 connection ssl... good thing they can only register one layer haha I downloaded 30 dvds in 3-4 days and they said I only downloaded 8 gigs so 2 dvds? I had a good laugh... I'm always on facebook, syncing gmail, watching vidoes on youtube... downloading as many apps as I can find on the market... I'm trying to max it out so I get what I pay for but can't even come close to the 500mb...

Upvote 0
lol I find this odd. Everyone else uses so much data?!??... are you not using free wifi? There is free wifi everywhere.. even at safeway when I'm shopping with my fiance.. Telus has hotspots as well which is included in my 50$ a month plan... i had call display added so a extra 7$ my bill dont go over 67$ with taxes included. When the end of the month comes I never use over 20mb in total so I try to download even more... you are all talking gig data plans??? ya ok on my computer I can easily download a 300+ gigs in a month with 5 connection ssl... good thing they can only register one layer haha I downloaded 30 dvds in 3-4 days and they said I only downloaded 8 gigs so 2 dvds? I had a good laugh... I'm always on facebook, syncing gmail, watching vidoes on youtube... downloading as many apps as I can find on the market... I'm trying to max it out so I get what I pay for but can't even come close to the 500mb...

If you use your phone wisely 500MB should be enough for a month. I'm using about 5-6MB a day. I do however look for free WiFi when I have time and wanna surf the net. There's usually some open network near by. Of course I download everything on my home computer so on the go all I need really is email, maps, and to check important things on the net.

Upvote 0
If you use your phone wisely 500MB should be enough for a month. I'm using about 5-6MB a day. I do however look for free WiFi when I have time and wanna surf the net. There's usually some open network near by. Of course I download everything on my home computer so on the go all I need really is email, maps, and to check important things on the net.

Of course its enough if you moderate but why limit your self and worry about going over? The more data the better the more you can enjoy your phone. And no i don't look for free wifi whats the point? Most of the time my 3g connection is faster then most places wifi ( 4mbit down 3mbit up ). Also i max out my monthly bandwith at home ( 125gb ) on a 25mbit down connection. Its easy to consume 5 - 10 gigs of data a day.

Upvote 0
I would definitely go for an unlimited plan if they had them here, but all providers have discontinued those plans, and as I hear North America is going towards caped plans too. I hope it never happens over there, it does really suck that you have to watch how much you surf...
If I had my way I'd be on Fring constantly and surfing at every red light :D

Upvote 0
Since I am on an unlimited plan I am more worry about the battery usage, I have mail check every 5min., I am looking for a decent battery saver app.

Why checke mail every 5 minutes instead of setting it to IMAP?

If you have multiple non-gmail accounts you can always forward them to your main ngmail account, set labels and rules and emails from each account will got to different folders. It will save battery a lot.

Upvote 0
Hi All,

I'm experiencing extremely high data usage 20+ MB per day after I installed Froyo. Before my daily max was 6 MB.

Has anyone experienced this behavior?

Can you suggest a data monitoring app that tells me data usage app by app? I have watchdog, and Netcounter and Netmonitor, but they are general, and cant tell me what app is doing all the mischief.

I have an unrooted HTC Desire with OTA Froyo

Here are my apps:

kozjegyzo's Apps on the HTC Desire

I live in Hungary and unlimited plans have been abolished years ago, so I'm stuck with a caped one (500MB) that gets very expensive if I overrun.

All help would be appreciated greatly...

Thanks

I'm not sure of the exact stats but I was well under my 500mb cap until installing #froyo, then all of a sudden the data usage went through the roof! I've had to turn sync off when not connected to wi-fi using the great app Tasker, using Spare Parts it appears to be the calendar sync that is using the most data. No idea why its happening though.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure of the exact stats but I was well under my 500mb cap until installing #froyo, then all of a sudden the data usage went through the roof! I've had to turn sync off when not connected to wi-fi using the great app Tasker, using Spare Parts it appears to be the calendar sync that is using the most data. No idea why its happening though.

The problem is with "Facebook for HTC Sense". It has a bug that make it constantly sync with the calendar. To resolve this remove the account from synced accounts, reboot and re-install the account. You might have to do this procedure several times. I did it quite a few times before everything got back to normal...

Upvote 0
The problem is with "Facebook for HTC Sense". It has a bug that make it constantly sync with the calendar. To resolve this remove the account from synced accounts, reboot and re-install the account. You might have to do this procedure several times. I did it quite a few times before everything got back to normal...

You do realize your in a Milestone thread right? :eek:

Upvote 0
There is a known issue with the Milestone. Really high data usage with the email reading the header constantly and downloading the content of the inbox over and over.

No there isn't :thinking: This was never a complained about issue and that would be an android issue and no other people say on anyother device complain about this

Upvote 0
Link to were this happened please. There is no way a google app would be doing this tho. All phones would have this issue if that was the case.

Here is a quote from someone complaining about it to Motorola in a post in their forum... it is real... I don't have a Telus link yet but I will as soon as I find one..

May 20, 2010 5:00 PM
3GB of data billing for normal email
I was billed nearly 3GB of data usage last month but the month before that only 42MB. I cannot figure out why and Telus say the billing is right. I noticed a bug in the email settings. When I am in the email app and go into account settings from the main menu, if I select Incoming (or Outgoing for that matter) settings I get the first page with the account but when I try to select the second page I either get an error or nothing or it just flips me back to the main settings page. I suspect my problem is that all attachments are downloaded on to the phone but because I can change the incoming settings I cannot do anything about it. Anyone else with a problem of adjusting the incoming settings?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones