• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Hill Climb Racing Eating Data

mordymo

Lurker
Feb 4, 2016
I downloaded and have been using HillClimb Racing for a while now. It is not is not an online game, and plays the same whether or not I'm connected to the internet. The only data it seems to use is pushing advertisements if the device is online and the app is actively being used. Suddenly, in one day my data allowance is zero. I check the data record and see the app used more than 170 MB in one day ! I am not even sure if the game was open when it used that data. It certainly wasn't being used as the phone was sleeping (screen off) when it happened . I have since seen that Verizon warned it's customers about this app. My question is this: How does the game use data ? For what purpose ? What is the nature of it's data usage ? (It was not because of an update; my phone is set not to even CHECK for updates). I want to know how this type of app uses data so I could be more educated on which similar apps might also use lots of data, and I'll stay away from them. I don't want this to happen to me (or anyone) again.

Thanks for reply. These are the permissions :Read phone status. Modify USB. Full network accsess. Google Play billing. Test accsess to protected storage. (It seems that many games have this problem, so it might not be stealing info from my device but rather a game related activity.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones