• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HK gets Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread! and Personal Problems and Experiences with 2.3.3

tempest7

Jul 23, 2010
Saw more people posting and I figured why not check. Plugged my phone in and started my Kies and an upgrade notification popped up. I'm using the provider Three.HK (though I don't think it really matters in HK?)

Gingerbread_Upgrade.png

old: Android 2.2.1
PDA: JPK
Phone: JPG
CSC: JPG (TGY)

new: Android 2.3.3
PDA: JV5
Phone: JV5
CSC: JV5 (TGY)

Was there a file system upgrade? I noticed a boot message saying it was updating my filesystem. Seems to take a lot longer to boot the first time.

The question is.. how to root it now?

Is the 2.3.3 good?

To be honest ...

The Good:
1) Games generally seem faster
2) Suppose to have some new capabilities, but I mainly like the new About Phone > Battery Use area
3) My commented that the icons look nicer (But actually I prefer the older ones)
4) Improved text selection tools (but that introduced other problems?)

The Bad:
1) I haven't rooted yet and I'm waiting to find one that works so that I can do a backup of my apps and settings before I factory reset. Since I haven't factory reset I find strange things are happening with my battery time (Seems shorter?) and Some apps like Whatsapp (the notifications locked up my phone twice and just now I couldn't run the app without it closing it self suddenly. I just restarted my phone to check my messages)
2) Even though games seem faster, the Launcher(s) seem slower. If I run an app, I don't know if it keeps killing the launchers because I watch it redraw them all the time. I've tried the stock TWlauncher for a day, ADW launcher for about half a day, and I'm running Launcher Pro right now. Launcher Pro seems the snappier of the 3 (less redrawing or less lag).
3) The text selection tools apparently messed up swype, so they disabled the double tap to highlight words. you need to be on a word and hit the swype icon/button to modify a word you already typed out. If you're not a swype user than it doesn't matter.
4) As someone else pointed out, they disabled opening up an individual SMS message in a larger black screen. There's no large view now for SMS messages.

Of course this is all without factory resetting. I have a lot of pictures on my phone and a fair number of apps. If you're not in a hurry to use 2.3.3 I don't really see a big need to switch to it. 2.2.1 was good (except for the database settings problem that someone mentioned in another thread)

Upvote 0
Again prior to doing any factory reset, since I'm still waiting to figure out a way to root my phone and do my backups.

1) I had an issue with 2.2.1 being unable to connect to a wifi network (it would just error unless I retried 4 or 5 times or restarted the phone), but this seems to have been fixed. I connect my phone to my home and my work wifi and usually if I move from one location to another I run into issues connecting to the wifi at some point during the day. I haven't had a relapse of that problem since getting onto 2.3.3.

2) The launchers still seem slower than 2.2.1. My launcher screens are always redrawining when I run any other apps. I don't know why that is, but it's a visible difference. Perhaps this will improve if I factory reset, but for the moment I'm trying to run without doing that.

3) Messaging apps that I'm using Whatsapp, Ping Chat, Kakao talk have had some minor issues and hiccups. Either they freeze, Force close, or recently for Kakao talk it just refused to allow me to send a picture (wouldn't even show my send attempt but keeps popping up the selection window) without me restarting the phone. Probably an application specific problem though.

4) Major issue is the confusing battery. I know other people post the answer to be a Factory reset, and until I can do so, I suppose there's nothing I can do to manually fix this. To demonstrate, I charged my phone via USB on my computer until the indicator said 100% Then unplugged and went out to grab some food. Only 20 some minutes gone from the computer (off wifi, running on 3G/HSPDA network) and my battery drops to under 70%?

SGS233BatteryUsage.jpg

Upvote 0
Again prior to doing any factory reset, since I'm still waiting to figure out a way to root my phone and do my backups.

4) Major issue is the confusing battery. I know other people post the answer to be a Factory reset, and until I can do so, I suppose there's nothing I can do to manually fix this. To demonstrate, I charged my phone via USB on my computer until the indicator said 100% Then unplugged and went out to grab some food. Only 20 some minutes gone from the computer (off wifi, running on 3G/HSPDA network) and my battery drops to under 70%?

SGS233BatteryUsage.jpg

can you please tell me how everything works out after you do factory reset?
I am thinking of upgrading to 2.3.3, I have froyo....but I only have a bit of lag problem, or maybe my battery drains. And that's all....do you recommend I upgrade? As I don't know whether it's available in my country or not!

Upvote 0
can you please tell me how everything works out after you do factory reset?
I am thinking of upgrading to 2.3.3, I have froyo....but I only have a bit of lag problem, or maybe my battery drains. And that's all....do you recommend I upgrade? As I don't know whether it's available in my country or not!

Before doing the Factory Reset. I've ALSO noticed that i've had some freezing and hangs. This has happened about 4 times already, with no particular pattern though twice after receiving messages on whatsapp and having noLed pop up.

I also tried to root my phone using Chainfire's root.

Quick, painless, and effective.
[18.05.2011][CF-Root 3.2] JP*,JS*,JQ3,JV1/K/B/H/O - su+bb+2e/CWM - rfs+ext4 - xda-developers

I flashed 'PDA' using 'JVO' or Chainfire (CF) 3.2.

The root worked great, but I had 1 phone freeze up afterwards. So whatever the problem is, it is still there.

I will factory reset shortly and then I'll see if I can update with any additional issues.

Upvote 0
This is more complicated (but not extremely, just a minor frustration) than it is worth.

The answer to the battery issue is apparently out. (FIX and INVESTIGATION: Android OS (battery drain) problem on Gingerbread - xda-developers) We don't have a choice according to their investigation, but to wait for Samsung to fix a driver which deals with the 'suspend' requests without ramping up the system OS all the time.

I had to flash back to JV5 to do my factory reset, then flash back / root to JVO again to get my root back. I'm not familiar with Chainfire's Kernal mod, but it changed the bootup animation, it seems to have disabled the volume up+home button key combination, and if I go through the menu system to 'Factory reset' it has produced some strange errors and is unable to RFS format certain 'device's. Basically I couldn't factory reset while on CF's JVO.

There must be a better way to root this. Anyone?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones