• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Homemade Install scripts fail :(

truehybridx

Mar 1, 2012
Ive been trying to make my own install zip, for use in CWM recovery.

But it always fails with now real reason, it'll say
Checking Update
Installing Update
Installation Aborted

Even a seemingly simple script does that
Code:
ui_print("");
ui_print("Nexus 7 Test Script");
ui_print("");
ui_print("");

ui_print("Yadada");
ui_print("Some more text");

Nexus 7 Running 4.1.2 with CWM 6.0.2.3
Any ideas?

Well the reason i bring this up is i was trying to set up the BootUnlocker Script shown here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2068207

But i cant even get the prints to come out first -_-

I didnt want to ask over there yet in case i was doing something entirely wrong not related to their script at all, you know?

UPDATE: ok well it does look like whatever txt editor i currently try screw with the script :(

Upvote 0
Well the reason i bring this up is i was trying to set up the BootUnlocker Script shown here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2068207

But i cant even get the prints to come out first -_-

I didnt want to ask over there yet in case i was doing something entirely wrong not related to their script at all, you know?

UPDATE: ok well it does look like whatever txt editor i currently try screw with the script :(

What editor are you using? If you're writing the script in Windows (particularly Notepad), make sure the updater-script has no file extension. Windows likes to append a default extension to files and that's my guess on what's wrong here

Upvote 0
I had this same issue when I was testing my OTA Verifier app.

If it is the same issue, it's most likely because you have a carriage-return and linefeed at the end of each line. The updater-binary will not like that.

You need to make sure you've only got newlines (linefeeds) at the end of each line.

If you have Unix / Linux, it's trivial to use tr or sed, etc. to remove them (the carriage returns):

Linux Commando: Delete Windows/DOS carriage return characters from text files

If you are on Windows, the easiest way might be to find a DOS version of the tr utility (lots out there) and then use this command format to remove the carriage returns:

Code:
[B]tr -d '\r' < input.txt > output.txt[/B]

Hope that helps.

Cheers! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones