• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "Homescreen has stopped" unexpectedly when trying search with app screen open

Fulltime Traveler

Dec 27, 2009
Oregon coast
I have had this phone for a week or so. It has the 902 update. It's a stock phone.

I just discovered that if I am in the Apps screen and press the search icon on the lower right corner of the phone I get a black screen with the message:
"Sorry! The application Homescreen (process com.motorola.home) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." The option at that point is simply "Force close".

I have tried rebooting the phone, power cycling it, and even removing the battery.

Ideas? Suggestions? (Besides "Don't do that." :) )

I have had this phone for a week or so. It has the 902 update. It's a stock phone.

I just discovered that if I am in the Apps screen and press the search icon on the lower right corner of the phone I get a black screen with the message:
"Sorry! The application Homescreen (process com.motorola.home) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." The option at that point is simply "Force close".

I have tried rebooting the phone, power cycling it, and even removing the battery.

It is a known bug that has no fix yet.

Reactions: Fulltime Traveler
Upvote 0

There is a workaround for this, but it is not perfect. If you go to manage applications, and uninstall updates to Google search, the issue goes away. You will be prompted repeatedly to update the Google search app through the Play Store, but I have found I can just ignore that.

Reactions: doogald
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones