• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hooking up a hard drive?

Ok I got a otg micro usb to usb adapter today. My note8 reads all my little flash drives but not my 750gig Toshiba external hard drive. I have about 200 movies on it, all my pictures, and all my music and stuff. The note 8 powers the hard drive but says that that it doesn't have anything on it or it's formated in an unreadable format. So what formats does the note read? I am guessing that l am going to have to reformat the hard drive but don't know what to format it to.

Now l am going to be converting all my bluerays and dvds to digital copy soon ( atleast thats the plan anyways) so l am going to get a very large hard drive. What will be needed to allow the note to operate something like that? ( looking at getting a 2 or 3 terabyte hard drive)

Make sure you format to exFAT. Do not use FAT32 as high quality encoded (ie. large file) movies will not work well with the limitations of FAT32. exFAT would be the better format.

You can only use NTFS if you rooted. Otherwise, it is not a supported format.

I have a 2.5" WD Blue 1TB HDD in an enclosure. Before that, it was a Seagate Momentus XT 500GB Hybrid SSD/HDD. I also had an OCZ Agility 60GB SSD in it as well. All were formatted to exFAT. All worked fine with the Note 10.1, but required external power supply for it to work. Then again, I guess that was expected since they are performance drives.

Reactions: efanatic
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones