• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Hot HOT Phone! Is it OK?

monicakm

Android Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2012
I've had my Razr since mid June with no heat issues. Yesterday, I plugged it into the car charger while on our way to the city. I picked it up about an hour and a half later to find it was extremely HOT...front and back right thru the back cover. Phone wouldn't connect calls thru my Ford Sync hands free BT system. A few hours later, in the house, I tried to use the phone. It was frozen. Was able to reboot it by holding down the power and down button for 15 seconds. It "seems" fine today but I know heat can do nasty things to electronics. Could this have done any damage to the phone that might show up later...or even now but I haven't noticed it yet? It didn't get over heated by staying in a hot car. It was plugged in (and using the same) outlet and charger I've been using. I'm running ICS.
Monica

Thanks. I never leave (this phone) in hot car. I did my "dumb" phone. It lived in the car. It wasn't smart enough to know that it couldn't stay in a hot car (g). A hot car wasn't the problem. The phone left the car when I did but was plugged in the hour and a half it took to get to the city.

But I would avoid leaving it in a hot car powered on at least or it could damage it some how.

Sent From My HTC Evo 3D Using TapaTalk 2

Upvote 0
I've had my Razr since mid June with no heat issues. Yesterday, I plugged it into the car charger while on our way to the city. I picked it up about an hour and a half later to find it was extremely HOT...front and back right thru the back cover. Phone wouldn't connect calls thru my Ford Sync hands free BT system. A few hours later, in the house, I tried to use the phone. It was frozen. Was able to reboot it by holding down the power and down button for 15 seconds. It "seems" fine today but I know heat can do nasty things to electronics. Could this have done any damage to the phone that might show up later...or even now but I haven't noticed it yet? It didn't get over heated by staying in a hot car. It was plugged in (and using the same) outlet and charger I've been using. I'm running ICS.
Monica

Was it the phone that got hot, or the battery that got hot? If If your battery is swappable, swap it out for another and see if that helps.My battery gets real hot a lot of the time...after awhile I replace it.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I never leave (this phone) in hot car. I did my "dumb" phone. It lived in the car. It wasn't smart enough to know that it couldn't stay in a hot car (g). A hot car wasn't the problem. The phone left the car when I did but was plugged in the hour and a half it took to get to the city.

If you do need to leave it in a hot car, safest way I'd go out it is put it in glove box if the charger reaches

Sent From My HTC Evo 3D Using TapaTalk 2

Upvote 0
Your phone will tell you when it is to hot. I left mine in my truck(ICS was being pushed out for the soak and the restaurant I was in had crappy signal and I WANTED ICS lol) When I came back after eating, it was in emergency cool down mode(it said something like that on the screen) and wouldn't let me do anything until the temp lowered.
wow ! ics does that ?

Upvote 0
Yes, exactly this.

I had my RAZR MAXX in its car cradle, navigating for me while I was on a call. And this was a very hot Southern California day, with the sun beating down hard on the dashboard, where the car cradle was.

First, I got a warning -- it told me to hang up the damn call because it was overheating, and told me that it was going into overheating mode in 10 minutes (or whatever) whether I liked it or not. I ignored it and stayed on the call. (I know.)

I hung up right before the phone shut itself down in Emergency Cool Down mode. Thereafter, I took the phone out of the cradle and held it in front of one of the blasting A/C vents, in the hopes of cooling it down enough to restart it and get back into navigation mode before I reached my exit. Luckily, this worked.

The phone has gone into what I call pre-Emergency-Cool-Down mode once as well. You get a little emergency icon (orange triangle with exclamation point) and the DISPLAY goes very faint on you -- the warning explains that this is also cool down related.

Since this has happened, I've tried to reorganize things in the car so that the car cradle is within range of one of the A/C vents.

Upvote 0
Well, I know it is not the sun causing mine to get hot because mine did the same as the OP's did, except at night. I was using the stock motorola car dock with GPS going and streaming Pandora. Stopped to get something to eat and took my phone out of the dock and it was extremely hot and then locked up. It took almost an hour to cool down.

Its done the same thing in the day before but now I know it more than likely wasn't due to the sun.

David

Upvote 0
To keep my Razr MAXX cool in the car and at home I use an iHome Netbook Cooling Pad with 2 built-in variable speed cooling fans. Got it for $7 at Radio Shack on a closeout sale.

You don't actually have to run the fans; the aluminum base plate absorbs enough heat from the back of the phone to keep the phone cool, and the aluminum base plate doesn't effect signal reception.

One rubber bumper on the cooling pad holds the phone in place and a wire loop made from a paper clip on the other rubber bumper holds onto the phone's power cable.

It's ugly but it works. Any sheet of metal or glass would probably work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones