• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hovering icons for running apps?

I can only assume that it is part of a recent update (Samsung S21 Android 12) but when I minimize or pause a running app, like a music player, maps, etc. a hovering icon for that appears on my home screen. If I reopen the app with that floating icon it opens up a foreground window for that app instead of running full screen. What setting controls this and how do I turn it off? It is incredibly annoying.

for one its most likely a part of ONE UI. two i would ditch it for a custom launcher like Nova Launcher its waaaaaaaaay better than one ui.

i can't remember how to turn it off as i have only used Nova for more than a decade, since the inception of android. it is so customizable, especially if you purchase (one time only) Nova Prime. it's a key that unlocks so much customization.

trust me when you install it, your phone will feel like an entirely different new phone. Nova is small and does not take up a lot of room or slow your phone down.

if you choose not to try it, then i hope someone here might know where to find the setting for it. i just like my launcher too much to switch and troubleshoot for you. i know it might be easy, but i'm too lazy....LOL

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones