• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How accurate is your compass?

1979w72

Nov 7, 2009
Wondering how many of you have a compass that is accurate through its entire travel? Mine heads in the right direction for about 270 degrees (rotating the phone) and the other 90 it is off by about 30 degrees. I have checked out 4 or 5 others in stores since launch day and they behave exactly the same. I also see this behavior using street view.

I have my Droid and a real compass sitting next to each other on my desk--and they both show the same direction. However, there are two points to remember: first, the Droid's compass is a very sensitive magnetic sensor, thus it will show usually wrong direction inside the car or next to any large magnetic bodies or devices (monitors, computers, power supplies, appliances etc.) Second, you need to recalibrate it every so often by making slow figues-8 in the air for a few times in the open without any interfering magnetic bodies nearby, until the magnetic field strength values in the GPS Status screen, a free Market app, are almost the same, like 52/53 or so. The best way to gain confidence in your Droid is to buy for a few bucks a decent compass--and compare.

Upvote 0
I have my Droid and a real compass sitting next to each other on my desk--and they both show the same direction. However, there are two points to remember: first, the Droid's compass is a very sensitive magnetic sensor, thus it will show usually wrong direction inside the car or next to any large magnetic bodies or devices (monitors, computers, power supplies, appliances etc.) Second, you need to recalibrate it every so often by making slow figues-8 in the air for a few times in the open without any interfering magnetic bodies nearby, until the magnetic field strength values in the GPS Status screen, a free Market app, are almost the same, like 52/53 or so. The best way to gain confidence in your Droid is to buy for a few bucks a decent compass--and compare.

I've noticed that Compass is usually very inaccurate for me, so I tried the recalibration. It never helps. In fact, a couple of times it has made things worse. I tried waving it in figure 8 patterns with GPS status open and the values are usually more like 65/52. I don't know what those mean, but if they're supposed to be close, I couldn't get them there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones