• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How are you purchasing you Droid Incredible?

How are you purchasing your Droid Incredible?

• My contracts up! So NEW 2-year contract!

Votes: 132 77.6%
  • Still in contract.. FULL retail price!

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • Online some other way (Ebay, Criagslist, or other)!

Votes: 12 7.1%

• Total voters
Yep, early termination fee is $350 on smartphone plans.

The $350 ETF went into effect on Nov 14th so it should only apply to lines that were new or upgraded after then. I'm not 100% on this but from a contract standpoint they cant increase your ETF if you upgraded or signed a new contract before then since you would have already been under the old ETF terms.

Upvote 0
IF the selling price is $199 (after instant discount) like is being speculated, you will get and additional $50 or $100 off for NE2 depending on when you originally signed up for NE2.

For those that are within a couple of months of NE2 eligibility, you might be able to call VZW and get your date bumped up.

If you use My Verizon online account management and you have had your current contract for a year you can get it at the $199 price, but no NE2 discount. This is what I will be doing as I will have 12 months on my Samsung Saga (worst phone ever) on the 23rd so the timing of the Incredible is perfect!

Reactions: Mookie1127
Upvote 0
The $350 ETF went into effect on Nov 14th so it should only apply to lines that were new or upgraded after then. I'm not 100% on this but from a contract standpoint they cant increase your ETF if you upgraded or signed a new contract before then since you would have already been under the old ETF terms.

This is correct. The new $350 ETF only applies if you started/renewed your contract on or after 11/14/2009. They cannot change the ETF of people already in contracts unless they send a letter telling them they are and offer a 30 day window to cancel your contract with no ETF since they would have been changing the original terms of your contract.

I got out of a T-Mobile contract a similar way. They raised the per text rate on everyone who didn't have unlimited plans, and were required (legally) to let anyone who would be affected out of their contract no ETF.

Back on topic: I got a droid on launch day and am debating if i really want an incredible that bad or if i should wait till my line is eligible for the 1 year upgrade thing.

I also plan on watching craigslist for the sure to come posts of "I bought this, can't stand not having a keyboard, want to trade for droid".

Upvote 0
IF the selling price is $199 (after instant discount) like is being speculated, you will get and additional $50 or $100 off for NE2 depending on when you originally signed up for NE2.

For those that are within a couple of months of NE2 eligibility, you might be able to call VZW and get your date bumped up.

If you use My Verizon online account management and you have had your current contract for a year you can get it at the $199 price, but no NE2 discount. This is what I will be doing as I will have 12 months on my Samsung Saga (worst phone ever) on the 23rd so the timing of the Incredible is perfect!

Thank you! I have been trying to understand the difference between the NE2 and early upgrade. I just got off the phone with Verizon and their explanation was horrible. I will be getting the phone with my early upgrade. I can't wait!!

Upvote 0
I'm probably going for 1 year contract even though I have NE2 available. I want the flexibility to possibly jump to a LTE phone next year whenever they come out.

"You can get a new phone every year with Annual Upgrade. Sign up for a 2-year agreement on a calling plan of at least $49.99 and you can purchase a new phone at its promotional price through My Verizon every year with a 2-year renewal (upgrade fee may apply)."

Here's your cake. Feel free to eat it, too.

Edit: Keep in mind if you do an Annual Upgrade next year it'll kill your NE2 in 20 months. But they neutered NE2 back to $50, anyway.

Upvote 0
Edit: Keep in mind if you do an Annual Upgrade next year it'll kill your NE2 in 20 months. But they neutered NE2 back to $50, anyway.

Per VZW:

"If you enrolled in the program prior to February 15, 2009 and continued to meet the requirements of the program, you will qualify for a free phone up to a $50 or $100 value, depending on the monthly access of your plan.

If you enrolled in the program on or after February 15, 2009, you will qualify for a free phone up to a $30 or $50 value, depending on the monthly access of your plan."

The way I read this is that NE2 sign-up is completely separate from contract sign-up so if you get the $100 now, you will for as long as they run the program.

Upvote 0
I got something in my email yesterday from Verizon for an upgrade to a new phone. I'm on my parents plan still to save some cash even though I work full time and my dad has federal govt discount. I'm going to look into this email later tonight to see what the dates of the offer are (not included in the email) and if I can get it to work with the Incredible release.

Upvote 0
I got something in my email yesterday from Verizon for an upgrade to a new phone. I'm on my parents plan still to save some cash even though I work full time and my dad has federal govt discount. I'm going to look into this email later tonight to see what the dates of the offer are (not included in the email) and if I can get it to work with the Incredible release.

Let me know how that goes... I am in the same boat.

Upvote 0
I have a question...I'm in my 20th month of the 24th for the NE2 program...I've already called Verizon and they said that I could upgrade and get the $199 price (after mail in rebates or just go to Best Buy), but my question is, would I receive a $100 discount? or do I have to wait until the 24th to get the discount??

Upvote 0
I have a question...I'm in my 20th month of the 24th for the NE2 program...I've already called Verizon and they said that I could upgrade and get the $199 price (after mail in rebates or just go to Best Buy), but my question is, would I receive a $100 discount? or do I have to wait until the 24th to get the discount??

Depends on what "in my 20th month" means. I think NE2 kicks in AFTER 20 months of service, not IN the 20th month.

Log into My Verizon and click on "Phone Details". It will show you the exact day you are eligible for NE2. If you are past that date then you will get the additional $50 or $100 discount on top of the $100 rebate depending on when us signed up for NE2.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones