• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help how can i buy 4g tablet and use phone sim?

PBearjar

Lurker
Aug 16, 2011
I am looking to buy the 4G note 10.1 and use my current verizon 4g phone sim with unlimited data in the tablet. I know I will need a micro sim adapter but what else will I need to do to buy this tablet and make it work without losing my unlimited data? I tried to go through the purchase on vzw.com and add a line but it was going to force me in to a share everything plan. Can i but the tablet somewhere else or get it without service through verizon? Can I use the tablet then to send and receive calls?

In a word "no, you can't". At least that's what I found when I looked into it...the unlimited data could stay with my phone when I bought a new phone for full retail - which is what I did with the SGS3 when VZW got it and I could keep my unlimited data ON THE PHONE..but the tablet I had to have a separate data plan for, or I could give up the unlimited data on the phone and go to share everything data.

BTW I think I will go to share everything data for the SGS4- I don;t end up using all that much data oin the phone even streaming vids and Pandora etc etc.

Upvote 0
I doubt it. Your 4G SIM card ID # is going to get 'bound' to your device MEID # etc and I have to think some part of that number tells them it's a tablet and the network goes "Yeah, no." I am no expert for the record, I just know how things work in the enterprise Wi-Fi arena and suspect what they'll see in the 4G world. is 5 or 10GB of data a month not enough augmented by Wi-Fi? What are you going to seed torrents on your tablet?

Upvote 0
While I understand you being skeptical, I would really appreciate some factual help not based on what you assume Verizon would do. This is an aged article but I have found nothing about them changing their policy Verizon Affirms Unlimited Smartphone SIM Card Usage in Hotspots, Tablets, LTE iPad | PhoneNews.com

My concern is more so how to buy this device than if the SIM will work as I have stated. At this point I will find a way to buy the device without ending my unlimited data and giving up my phone number that I have had for 10+ years

Upvote 0
Basically a tablet with a SIM card slot is no different from a phone with a SIM card slot. It will work either way. Most plans are directly linked to the SIM card and not IMEI. Otherwise every carrier will run into issues with phone swaps, replacements, etc.

As for the LTE Note 10.1, make sure that it is an unlocked version not tied to a carrier (just like an unlocked phone). This allows freedom of use of the tablet on any carrier. Secondly, even though it states LTE, you may not necessarily get LTE. You may actually be using HSPA or HSPA+. On worst case, you may even end up with EDGE network.

This is very dependent on the radio and the frequencies it uses. If LTE radio and frequency do not match what is used on your current carrier, you will not get LTE speeds. And no software will fix it as this is a hardware issue based on the radio used. So check the frequencies to ensure what service network you will be receiving.

Reactions: PBearjar
Upvote 0
Thanks for all the info on this. I really appreciate it. Do you know if buying the prepaid note 10.1 from Verizon would be okay without it being unlocked because it is still the same carrier? I can't seem to find anywhere other than wirefly to buy the tablet and that would alter my unlimited data as well

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the info on this. I really appreciate it. Do you know if buying the prepaid note 10.1 from Verizon would be okay without it being unlocked because it is still the same carrier? I can't seem to find anywhere other than wirefly to buy the tablet and that would alter my unlimited data as well

If Verizon offers it, then you can buy it outright without the need to unlock it. It will work on the network like any other phone offered by Verizon. Just slap in the SIM card your plan is attached to and you're done.

Please note that I am in Canada and basing my knowledge on our carriers here. Buying a 4G tablet is no different than buying a 4G phone outright and using it with whatever plan you want without a contract.

Upvote 0
I am planning on using my 4g sim from my Thunderbolt with unlimited data occasionally in my Motorola xyboard (I used to have a month-to-month data plan on the tablet, but cancelled due to being cheap, and not wanting to pay. $30/month for 2gb).

My question: will i loose any files, apps, etc on my tablet when i restart it with my phone's sim card? I am most concerned about loosing data from apps/games.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
I am planning on using my 4g sim from my Thunderbolt with unlimited data occasionally in my Motorola xyboard (I used to have a month-to-month data plan on the tablet, but cancelled due to being cheap, and not wanting to pay. $30/month for 2gb).

My question: will i loose any files, apps, etc on my tablet when i restart it with my phone's sim card? I am most concerned about loosing data from apps/games.

Thanks.

You lose nothing when you restart.

Reactions: geozep
Upvote 0
Upon further research, my Thunderbolt has a regular sim card, while the tablet uses a micro sim card. My phone's sim looks like it can be cut down with a sim cutter to fit into the tablet, and an adapter to be able to put back into the phone.

The cutter and adapter should be delivered later this week. I'll report back after i try it out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones