• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How can I create a direct mail icon on home screen?

thetingster

Android Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2009
I thought I was once able to do this. Perhaps it was on a previous version of Android OS or something.

How can I create a shortcut Icon on a home screen to send a direct mail message from gmail? When I choose shortcuts>email from desktop it opens to the setup accounts screen. Am I missing something here? My phone is already set up for gmail.

Thanks

I thought I was once able to do this. Perhaps it was on a previous version of Android OS or something.

How can I create a shortcut Icon on a home screen to send a direct mail message from gmail? When I choose shortcuts>email from desktop it opens to the setup accounts screen. Am I missing something here? My phone is already set up for gmail.

Thanks

It could be because email ≠ Gmail, they are two different apps entirely.

Upvote 0

Thanks

A custom launcher such as LauncherPro may support this better. (I just tried with ADW EX, which I use, and it does not, though, even with custom shortcuts.)

You can create a contact shortcut icon, though. Touch that and it will give you a menu of choices (they are icons but their function is obvious.) Choose the one for email and it will ask you which app that you want to use (it gives GMail as a choice), which you can make the default. Then you can go into the "to" field and delete that contact and add whoever you wish.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones