• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How can I exclude locations from the Image Gallery?

lemonsquash

Sep 13, 2010
Hello,

I'm a brand new Android user, just got my Epic 4G. I check out the Gallery - wow, how cool! It displays my camera images and Picasa albums all on one nifty tilty display!

Last night I loaded 9Gb of music, and this morning when I went to my Gallery all I see are album covers for the first several screens. Bleh.
I also see the stupid Qik videos in there - not sure I want them in my Gallery either.

Can you tell me how to exclude locations from the image gallery?

Thanks!

Lori
Lake Mary, FL

I have the .mp3s in folders with the artist's name, album names are just in the metadata. I'm using the built-in 'music' app, though it seems kind of frumpy so I might try something third-party soon (any suggestions?).

Also, I think I figured out the album art thing. Some of the art had something that looks like a GUID in the filename like this:
AlbumArt_{931403FA-6CBE-425C-A770-9D3F8AD8BDB2}.jpg
...and others didn't. I deleted all the art that didn't have the long alphanumeric string and VOILA~ this fixed the problem. Music player sees the art, but Gallery doesn't. :)

Thanks for your help!!

-Noob in FL

Upvote 0
I am having this problem on my Samsung Vibrant.

I have a directory with lots of music, and album art is downloaded to these folders. I want album art for my music collection.

Unfortunately the .nomedia file creation will render the directory of all my music invisible to the media player.

Since it seems as though the .nomedia file creation is the only workaround solution, I would now start to look for a "Gallery" program that allows me to specify which locations to monitor.

It seems incredible to me that this problem has not been resolved by adding a setting to "Gallery" that allows the user to specify which directory to display images from.

Upvote 0
I have a program called HideNSeek. It gives files a ".hide" at the end of the file name so they can't be seen when trying to open movies, images and such. Unless someone is rooting through your file manager, the files won't be seen. To access them it puts an app called flashlight in your app list. It actually works like a flashlight, but you hit the menu button four times and it gives you a password to enter. Then it takes you into a file manager where you can see the hidden files or hide others and so forth. Just press and hold on the file you want to view, watch and it opens.

Upvote 0
Hello,

I'm a brand new Android user, just got my Epic 4G. I check out the Gallery - wow, how cool! It displays my camera images and Picasa albums all on one nifty tilty display!

Last night I loaded 9Gb of music, and this morning when I went to my Gallery all I see are album covers for the first several screens. Bleh.
I also see the stupid Qik videos in there - not sure I want them in my Gallery either.

Can you tell me how to exclude locations from the image gallery?

Thanks!

Lori
Lake Mary, FL

You're looking for advice/support rather than offering a Tip or Trick, so I moved your question to the Support and Troubleshooting area for you. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones