• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How can I grant SD card write access in Marshmallow?

Coban

Apr 16, 2011
Okay, so we all know that in Marshmallow, apps have to be granted individual access to be able to write to the external SD card. That being the case, I have two questions:

1. Many apps bring up the folder selector to grant access the first time it comes up. But if you miss that first time, or if it's for an app that doesn't do that on its own, how can you grant this access?

2. Is there a way to just allow all apps to write to the external SD card if they already have the general permission to modify the sd card, so you don't have to worry about doing this individually for each app?

With root and Xposed, yes by the looks of things: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.balamurugan.marshmallowsdfix

If you're not rooted, I don't think so.

Xposed causes a lot of headaches. I'm not sure I want to deal with that ball of wax.

However, I found this article here: http://www.knowreviewtip.com/fix-er...sion-for-all-apps-in-android-lollipop-kitkat/

That article talks about editing platform.xml to address the issue. However, it was written for Lollipop. Can you confirm that it would still work for Marshmallow and that it won't cause any general problems?

Upvote 0
Okay, so we all know that in Marshmallow, apps have to be granted individual access to be able to write to the external SD card. That being the case, I have two questions:

1. Many apps bring up the folder selector to grant access the first time it comes up. But if you miss that first time, or if it's for an app that doesn't do that on its own, how can you grant this access?

2. Is there a way to just allow all apps to write to the external SD card if they already have the general permission to modify the sd card, so you don't have to worry about doing this individually for each app?

1. If you miss it the first time, exit the app (force close) and try again as it ask you again when it needs access

1b. If the does not ask you it means it was designed for an older version of the OS. In this case go into settings, apps and pick the app, now manually edit the permissions to grant access.

2. Can help with this one. :p

Upvote 0
Xposed causes a lot of headaches. I'm not sure I want to deal with that ball of wax.

However, I found this article here: http://www.knowreviewtip.com/fix-er...sion-for-all-apps-in-android-lollipop-kitkat/

That article talks about editing platform.xml to address the issue. However, it was written for Lollipop. Can you confirm that it would still work for Marshmallow and that it won't cause any general problems?

Potentially looks correct, but as it's designed for another OS Version I can't say yes or no for certain.

Do you have a custom recovery installed? Can you take a backup or do you have a viable method for returning your phone to stock if something goes wrong. If you can answer yes to both those questions, then there's no real harm in giving it a go.

Upvote 0
1. If you miss it the first time, exit the app (force close) and try again as it ask you again when it needs access

1b. If the does not ask you it means it was designed for an older version of the OS. In this case go into settings, apps and pick the app, now manually edit the permissions to grant access.

Regarding your (1b), the problem is that if I go into the App Manager and edit the app's permissions, all I can do is a generic switch to enable the Storage permission. What I can't do is that step where the Android dialog pops up that lets you choose the top-most folder to give it write access to. That's what I need to know how to bring up again.

Upvote 0
Potentially looks correct, but as it's designed for another OS Version I can't say yes or no for certain.

Do you have a custom recovery installed? Can you take a backup or do you have a viable method for returning your phone to stock if something goes wrong. If you can answer yes to both those questions, then there's no real harm in giving it a go.

Good point. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Regarding your (1b), the problem is that if I go into the App Manager and edit the app's permissions, all I can do is a generic switch to enable the Storage permission. What I can't do is that step where the Android dialog pops up that lets you choose the top-most folder to give it write access to. That's what I need to know how to bring up again.
Then I guess your going to have to uninstall the app or clear the app data and let it ask you again. Having not used a phone with an SD card for a number of years now I was not aware of this extra option.

Upvote 0
There is also an app extra option within the developer section of your phone to force apps to install to the SD card for those app that may not ask for the permission. Although not directly what you asking for, it would force the data onto the SD card.

I have never used the option myself, so cannot guarantee how well it works. It will also install all new apps to the SD card once enabled, not sure what happens if you turn this option off.

The developer option is called: Force allow apps on external. And is located right down the bottom of the list.

Upvote 0

There's several ways to change permissions in an os. The best way i like is root explorer under options > permissions. I believe any root file manager has the option. If your good with an ime there a few different spells and/or encantations you can cast on it. Be careful on the newer android versions though, you cast the wrong spell the media mage may release some spells of itsu<<<<+jjjj=jkj= ( up lol lol I'll I'll pool pool pťHGTV own cloaking the card from you making renderi g =
The easiest most consistent way is to write to a protected directory is to be root thus have applications be root. use this explorer nativ

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones