• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How can I reinstall Android on my car's tablet display?

TzviM

Lurker
Jan 8, 2012
I bought a used Toyota Corolla Hybrid 2020. The previous owner apparently replaced the stock display with a tablet that runs Android. The connections seem fine (power, stereo, BT, Wi-Fi). But the UI is clunky, there's no access to the Play Store, and in general the OS seems unofficial.

How can I wipe the system and replace it with a legit Android OS, preferably Android Auto? Is it possible through a connected phone/computer (via BT, Wi-Fi, maybe USB)?

The current system's info is:
  • Model: V8AUTO-MX6Q
  • Android version 4.4.2
  • Baseband version Unknown
  • Kernel version 3.0.35

Thanks!

I bought a used Toyota Corolla Hybrid 2020. The previous owner apparently replaced the stock display with a tablet that runs Android. The connections seem fine (power, stereo, BT, Wi-Fi). But the UI is clunky, there's no access to the Play Store, and in general the OS seems unofficial.

How can I wipe the system and replace it with a legit Android OS, preferably Android Auto? Is it possible through a connected phone/computer (via BT, Wi-Fi, maybe USB)?

The current system's info is:
  • Model: V8AUTO-MX6Q
  • Android version 4.4.2
  • Baseband version Unknown
  • Kernel version 3.0.35

Thanks!
Upgrading the custom Android system in your 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid to a legitimate Android Auto system is complex and potentially unsupported.
Consult a professional installer or Toyota dealership for advice. Check for system software updates, as custom ROMs or firmware updates might improve functionality.
Research if there are any custom ROMs available for your car's system that provide a better Android experience and access to the Play Store.
Make sure to proceed cautiously, as making such changes can be risky and might void warranties or cause other issues.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones