• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How can I stop my phone from updating?

When you root your Android device, you gain superuser access, but this can interfere with the automatic updates pushed by the device's manufacturer. If you want to disable the update prompts on your rooted Pixel 7 Pro running Android 13, you can try the following steps:

Method 1: Disable Software Update Notifications Open Settings:

Go to your device's Settings. Navigate to System:

Scroll down and select "System" or "System & updates." Select Software Update:

Tap on "Software Update" or a similar option depending on your device. Disable Automatic Updates:

Look for an option related to automatic updates or system updates. Disable or turn off any options that mention automatic updates. Method 2: Disable Update Service (Requires Root Access) Install a Root File Explorer:

Download and install a root-enabled file explorer from the Google Play Store. Grant Root Permissions:

Open the file explorer and grant it root permissions. Navigate to System Files:

Navigate to the system partition, typically located at /system. Locate the Update Service:

Look for a file or directory related to the update service. It might be named something like Updater, OTA, or similar. Rename or Delete:

Rename the file or directory to something like Updater.bak or delete it. Be cautious when deleting system files, as it can potentially lead to issues. Renaming is a safer option. Reboot:

Reboot your device. Method 3: Install Custom ROM (Optional) If the above methods don't work, you might consider installing a custom ROM. Custom ROMs often provide more control over system updates. Keep in mind that installing a custom ROM involves unlocking the bootloader and may void your warranty.

Important Consideration: Disabling system updates can leave your device vulnerable to security risks, as updates often include important security patches. Be sure to weigh the benefits of maintaining root access against the potential security risks. If you're comfortable with the risks, proceed with the steps provided.

Remember that rooting your device and modifying system files can lead to unexpected issues, so proceed with caution and back up your data before making any significant changes. If you have any concerns, it's recommended to seek guidance from the Android community or the developer community for your specific device model.

Upvote 0
rohansaadat2 – Thanks for the reply.

I tried installing both KingoRoot and SuperSU on my phone, since they are known to be able to proviide apps with root permission, but neither was able to run.

I do have X-Plore installed on my phone, and a *update* search under /system found:
/bin/update_engine /bin/update_verifier /etc/init/update_engine.rc /etc/init/update_verifier.rc /lib64/libupdate_engine_stable-V1-cpp.so

and a *ota* search under /system found ten files, of which
/bin/otapreopt
may be relevant.

Should I modify any of these files? If so, should I do that before or after rebooting my phone (as it has asked to be done)?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones