• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do I format the SD card when using Link2SD

Caro332

Android Expert
Feb 22, 2012
I've been transferring all my data from SD card to SD card for years and so I believe there might be a lot of things I do not need anymore. Therefore, I want to format my SD card.
Now here's the question.
  • I am using Link2SD. Would anyone have a guide on how to format the SD card when all my apps are linked?
  • Plus, will formatting also delete the partition?
    • I do want to delete the partition I currently have and make a new one because when I first created it, I was not sure how much I was space I was supposed to use so I did a big number like 2GB which I now realize is a big waste of space.
Thanks for the help guys!!:thumbup:

OK i managed to do this.

- First of all, remove links to all the widgets and apps that you think might cause problems while booting.
- You will need a CWM for your phone - search the forum or google how to get it.
- Boot your phone into recovery and do a backup (including the EXT partition)
- Restart your phone, connect it to PC and copy everything you need from the FAT part of the SD card (ClockWorkMod folder is the most important part)
- Then download and install MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition from here and delete the partitions - it would be best to do this with the phone turned off and using a card reader
- Boot your phone into recovery and create a new EXT partition - I read that this shouldn't be larger than 1GB
- Reboot your phone so it creates the FAT partition
- Reboot again into recovery and restore the EXT backup

That worked for me, hope it helps :)

Reactions: Caro332
Upvote 0
OK i managed to do this.

- First of all, remove links to all the widgets and apps that you think might cause problems while booting.
Do you have any examples??

- Boot your phone into recovery and do a backup (including the EXT partition)
This is where I need to know...How do I include EXT partition? Is there a special option? Can you put a little guide for me?

- Restart your phone, connect it to PC and copy everything you need from the FAT part of the SD card (ClockWorkMod folder is the most important part)
If I just copy and paste everything, will it work? I don't know anything about partitions and FAT...

- - Reboot again into recovery and restore the EXT backup
Could you be kind enough to put a small guide on how to do that too pelase?

Thanks so much !!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones