• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do I make it so that the phone requires a password to switch off?

I thought that was enforced these days? I personally hate it. If I want to turn my phone off, let me turn it off by holding the damn button. There's no useful benefit to forcing a PIN or password to turn a phone OFF. To unlock it? sure. But I just don't understand what benefit there is to securing it from turning off. There's no way someone's gonna steal your bank info when the phone's off.

Upvote 0
I think the only benefit of a secure shut down would be to keep the device running while you tried to find it using google services. Find, lock, or erase are all possible if the phone is on..... providing the battery doesn't bottom out first. I've never used the service so can't attest to it's ability to assist in a lost device situation. I personally don't have anything on my phone of interest to anyone so I prefer to just shut it off. If I lose it... my loss.

Upvote 0
I'm just sick of it on any Samsung phone. It can't be disabled. I want a secure lock screen, but I shouldn't need to use my PIN to turn the bloody thing off.

The liklihood of a phone being stolen is negligible. It's like anyone stupid enough to steal a stock stereo from a car, but only stock stereos have TheftLock built in. Want protection for that $800 Alpine unit? sorry, you don't get any! Honestly though if you're the kind to have their phone stolen, you got far bigger problems than phone security.

Upvote 0
I think the only benefit of a secure a shut down would be to keep the device running while you tried to find it using google services. Find, lock, or erase are all possible if the phone is on..... providing the battery doesn't bottom out first. I've never used the service so can't attest to it's ability to assist in a lost device situation. I personally don't have anything on my phone of interest to anyone so I prefer to just shut it off. If I lose it... my loss.

I have had to use it to find my daughter's phone. She thought she left it at school. After searching her backpack to no avail I remembered the device locator. I got on her laptop and found it was connected to our wifi so I had it play the locator sound. It had somehow gotten into a folder in her backpack.

I would say it came in handy.

Reactions: ocnbrze and olbriar
Upvote 0
Hi, could someone tell me how can I set up a password or pin code so that my Motorola edge 30 requires it when someone tries to switch it off?

It has a lock screen now (pin) but the phone could be switched off without the pin.

Thanks!
It's not really possible because even on a device that DOES have that option in the OS (like Samsung), there are still ways to restart or power it off without knowing the lock. Basically as long as you hold the Power button long enough, the device will force restart itself

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones