• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How do I put my Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus into Mass Storage Mode?

Works fine on all my WinXP/Win7 boxes:

4851e81e-7e37-8d60.jpg

Upvote 0
I also have the Tab 7 Plus. Did using AnyCut and changing from Kies to Mass Storage work for you? I tried this and it still comes up as an MTP device. I also tried putting into USB debugging mode. Win7 recognized it as a different device and installed new drivers but it's still an MTP device. If anyone has gotten it to come up as a USB device with a drive letter in Win7, please let me know how.

Upvote 0
I stopped at being able to drag and drop files locally via USB, and to network shares via wifi.

As a work around, try just using a microSD card, with USB adapter, transfer the files, then put the card in the tab (or some iteration of local storage which will ultimately end up in the tab). I have an adapter for the tab which is a 5-in-1 card reader, and has a USB port (about $7)...may help in your situation:

4851e81e-1104-d82e.jpg

Upvote 0
I also have the Tab 7 Plus. Did using AnyCut and changing from Kies to Mass Storage work for you? I tried this and it still comes up as an MTP device. I also tried putting into USB debugging mode. Win7 recognized it as a different device and installed new drivers but it's still an MTP device. If anyone has gotten it to come up as a USB device with a drive letter in Win7, please let me know how.

There is no way I know of to get it to become actual mass storage. I believe the problem lies with Honeycomb itself as it doesn't support mass storage only MTP.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies. I use MS SyncToy and it won't recognize an MTP device. And I would like it to work on the internal storage but maybe I'll just have to depend on the external SD card. Oh well, it's just another annoyance I'll have to live with.

Is using "EStrong's File Explorer", and just copying/pasting from your network folder to the tab not an option? It would eliminate the need for transferring a physical card back and forth.

Upvote 0
I stopped at being able to drag and drop files locally via USB, and to network shares via wifi.

As a work around, try just using a microSD card, with USB adapter, transfer the files, then put the card in the tab (or some iteration of local storage which will ultimately end up in the tab). I have an adapter for the tab which is a 5-in-1 card reader, and has a USB port (about $7)...may help in your situation:

4851e81e-1104-d82e.jpg

This is what I have been using as well and it works fine.

Upvote 0
EDIT: ok never mind. Just starting to figure out that if I connect my tablet to the PC via usb, I can transfer files to and from the sd card. The pc shows a "card" and "tablet" folder and you can create, copy and paste via pc. However the confusing thing is that on Es explorer on the tab, the SD card directory is actually the internal storage. There is a file folder called "extsorage" which actually is the SD card. Confusing.

Upvote 0
so, i have a tab 3 7.0 and was frustrated with having the same problem. starting to put my microsd in my phone to copy files, then swap the sdcard again.
but just to get my feelings out and rant to samsung, i went ahead and filed a support ticket and did a live chat with an operator or whatever.

their first suggestion, using the original cord that my tab came with, worked perfectly.
i then proceeded to call it complete samsung witchcraft, and thanked the nice lady.

i was using my usual data cable instead, and the original must have a different voltage or perhaps something proprietary. my tab was already in usb debugging mode when i tried both times, so i don't know if it works with it off yet. i believe it is still read as a media device, but i actually have write access now.

i made an account just to say this, because it was really pissing me off, and i hope this helps someone else in the future.

Upvote 0
Just in case someone ever comes back to this post, mind the cable you are trying to use. Some cables don't support FTP ( File Transfer Protocol ) And will not be seen as a device on the computer. Using the original cable is always recommended since this cable does support FTP.

(Im just posting this in order to help other people in the future)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones