• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How do I stop my Moto X from deleting my emails?

I'm using the stock email app and it keeps deleting my emails on me. How do I stop this? I have a hotmail account. Push is off and I haven't deleted them on my computer either !

Is the account set up to fetch mail from a POP3 server or IMAP server, or is it using exchange? (I assume not exchange because you say that push is off.) If it's set up for a POP3 server, I'd suggest switching to an IMAP server instead.

Upvote 0
Is the account set up to fetch mail from a POP3 server or IMAP server, or is it using exchange? (I assume not exchange because you say that push is off.) If it's set up for a POP3 server, I'd suggest switching to an IMAP server instead.

Do I have to change it manually? Right now under server it says blu402-m.hotmail.com

I've never seen that before. Usually it's just POP3 or IMAP.

Upvote 0
Do I have to change it manually? Right now under server it says blu402-m.hotmail.com

I've never seen that before. Usually it's just POP3 or IMAP.

I'll bet that you have it set up for ActiveSync. If so, I'm surprised that the emails are deleted on the phone but not anywhere else.

You may want to try setting up the account again (so, I think under settings, under accounts, delete that account) and set up the account again, this time making sure that it's IMAP.

Sometimes with POP3 accounts, fetching mail will delete the mail that you've retrieved from the server. I don't know if that is the default for the X's email app. But IMAP should always be a window to what is on the mail server. When you read a mail on the phone, when you check on your computer later, it will be marked as read. When you delete from the computer or webmail, it will be deleted on the phone when you go to check later.

If the stock mail client just isn't working right, there are third party mail clients that you can install from the play store. K9 mail is a very good one.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem as the OP, setup for POP/SMTP and to "Never" delete from server. One note that this is a secondary email account on my phone, the primary account is an active-sync account from work (POP/SMTP is a personal account). I've deleted and recreated several times but no luck getting it to work correctly. Definitely some sort of bug going on here.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem as the OP, setup for POP/SMTP and to "Never" delete from server. One note that this is a secondary email account on my phone, the primary account is an active-sync account from work (POP/SMTP is a personal account). I've deleted and recreated several times but no luck getting it to work correctly. Definitely some sort of bug going on here.

I agree, which is why I asked if it was a POP3 account. If you can set up the account as an IMAP account, I'd definitely suggest it, or switch to K9 mail for the POP account.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones