• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
@OP: Technically, you don't need a task killer based on how the Android OS is designed. Unless it's a rouge app, a task killer to end the app is not necessary. If you don't use an app, it goes into idle mode (uses 0% of CPU%) and waits until you need it again. If memory is low and the phone sees you haven't used that app for a long extended period, it will end the task to open up memory for other tasks.

Read this to get a better understanding: FAQ: Why You Shouldn’t Be Using a Task Killer with Android Geek For Me – Android CDMA Sprint Hero

Reactions: rwZephyr
Upvote 0
@OP: Technically, you don't need a task killer based on how the Android OS is designed. Unless it's a rouge app, a task killer to end the app is not necessary. If you don't use an app, it goes into idle mode (uses 0% of CPU%) and waits until you need it again. If memory is low and the phone sees you haven't used that app for a long extended period, it will end the task to open up memory for other tasks.

Read this to get a better understanding: FAQ: Why You Shouldn

Upvote 0
I use Quick Settings (free from the market) to turn different things on and off as I need them.

I also use Task Panel lite (with it's AutoKill widget) to kill off processes. I know that dormant apps don't use processing power, but I figure that having them in memory MUST drain some power, so there's no harm in killing the ones I don't want.

By doing things this way I've gone form losing around 30% power overnight to losing less than 5%. Last night my battery was at 52% at 1am, and today at nearly 6pm I've got 37%. Today I've received calls and texts, and received emails and used the Market on wireless. And I have Bluetooth on when I'm in my car (about one hour per day).

On that basis, I'm pretty happy with the battery. However, if I leave 3G on, allow auto-updates for Google Sync (contacts and calendar), and let Twitter and facebook update regularly in Timescape, my battery dies MUCH quicker.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones