• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How do you FORCE an update? Can you?

dlphnfn

Mar 4, 2011
I-O-What?
I just got a replacement EVO 3D for mine that a coworker spilled coffee on... All day yesterday and into today, I've been trying to update my phone, but it won't. I have the problem with the phone icon missing from the lock screen and it has 2.3.3. I can't get the OLD updates that fix the phone icon and I can't get 2.08.651.2, even though Sprint Zone tells me to get it! :rolleyes:
Going into Settings > System Updates > HTC software update tells me there are no updates. I've done a reboot, batt out reboot, reSET, and taken it into Sprint this afternoon for an utter waste of 2 hours while they did the same flippin' thing. They said it will get updates in 2 to 3 days. WHAT?
Am I just being too impatient? Why can't I get this update on my phone? Anyone had similar behavior?
Erick --

Same thing with me as OP. Got my replacement phone Sat (noon) and it took until today (Monday morning) for the first 2 updates to show up. Now im anxiously waiting to see when i get the latest update. I did do a profile update just before they seemed to start showing up, don't know if that did something or not.. just keep checking, they will show up. Nothing is wrong with your phone. :)

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
xda-developers - View Single Post - OTA 2.08.651.2 Manual Update || 45.67 MB OTA

In case you're not an XDA member and the redirect doesn't work properly.

1. homescreen, Menu, Settings, Power, uncheck Fastboot.

2. Download the file from here:

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

3. Copy to your SD card - do not put inside any folders, just at the root-level of your SD card.

4. Rename it to PG86IMG.zip --- make sure you have your Windows set up to not play with file extensions, so you don't end up with it being named PG86IMG.zip.zip

5. Power down phone, wait a minute.

6. Power up while holding power down - until red light comes on.

7. Wait until it goes into auto-update - if you're asked, say you want the update (volume keys go up/down, tap power to select).

I've not tried this myself, but the source seems trustworthy.

If you are wanting to root your phone and are not updated - I suggest avoiding this update, rooting first. See our All Things Root sub-forum listed at the top of this forum for details.

If you are rooted, don't take this update at all.

Hope this helps!

PS - Or - you can do it the easier way:

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d...ugust-23rd-rolling-out-now-4.html#post3104071

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones