• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do you recover your Free apps.

Well you gotta re-download them this time. But download Astro File Manager for future wipes. It has an app backup utility that saves them to the sdcard. If you keep your apps backed up and then wipe you can just DL Astro and reinstall the backed up apps as long as you're using the same sdcard. It works perfect! ;)

Upvote 0
You can use Atrackdog to save a list of all installed apps, in addition to, or instead of backing them up.

One issue I noticed when I installed apps from my SD card rather than the market, is that they didn't show up as installed in Marketplace, so I wouldn't get notification of updates to them.

Upvote 0
Is there a way to manually save apps/games to your sd card without rooting your phone? When I had windows mobile, It allowed me to choose where I wanted to install the apps. I realize most of these apps arent very big in size BUT I know it will happen in the near future I will run out of space on my phone. I have had my droid for less then 2 weeks and have about 115 apps on my phone.

Have you tried aTrackDog(SD) track backup app? I havent tried it myself but you might want to check it out.

aTrackDog(SD) finds the newest version for apps that backed-up on the SD card

- Track new version for backed-up apps
- Install, delete backed-up apps
- Export app list for sharing
- Browse top 100 popular apps

Manage your backed-up apps and their update information

aTrackDog app manager

aTrackDog(SD) track backup app was developed for Android by Sam Lu

aTrackDog(SD) track backup app v3.10 Application for Android | Tools

Upvote 0
@dmaul, here's the thing:

Astro is a file manager that will let you back up and restore your apps to/from SD card, either one-by-one or in batch mode.

aTrackDog will help you identify and update those of your installed apps that are out of date. This is done on a one-by-one basis, I hope that there will be a batch-process mode in the future (but I have heard nothing in that direction, so don't read too much into this).

So what you wanna do is this:
-- Do an Astro backup in two situations: (a) after having run aTrackDog to bring your apps up to date, and (b) before messing with your device.
-- You also want to run aTrackDog after you have restored your apps (with Astro) to make sure they'e up to date (and yes, this means you wanna make a new backup soon after restoring).

If you do this, you'll always have your apps. However: if you do a full reset and restore, you will still lose the settings for the system and all apps; to salvage the settings you need to use "Nandroid" which comes with the custom "rescue" firmware updates.

Got it? :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones