• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How long does your Ally battery last?

Decided to run some battery tests. Got 6ish hours on halloween (watched some nfl mobile). With moderate use. Then Nov 1st i got 7 hours with just moderate use. By moderate use i mean some web browsing and irc (wasn't always running in the background.)

Both days i had wifi,bluetooth, and gps off. Autosync off, background data off, brightness to the lowest.

I knew i never had great battery life as i would always have to charge it everyday so i did tests thoes two days to get an idea of how long it lasts.

Upvote 0
I can't even get 9 hours on medium use out of my phone so for those of you getting 12 hours with browsing and stuff you guys are simply lucky

Under 9 hours? Man, I would have returned that thing right away. There has to be something wrong there. I use mine as a golf GPS device and I only lost 25% battery life in a 4 1/2 hour round of golf where the GPS was on and I was checking NFL scores whenever we would get a break on one of the tees. Typically when I use it as a golf GPS only, I lose around 18% if I don't browse the web for sports scores while I play. So only getting 9 hours out of your phone is definitely not normal.

Upvote 0
Decided to run some battery tests. Got 6ish hours on halloween (watched some nfl mobile). With moderate use. Then Nov 1st i got 7 hours with just moderate use. By moderate use i mean some web browsing and irc (wasn't always running in the background.)

Both days i had wifi,bluetooth, and gps off. Autosync off, background data off, brightness to the lowest.

I knew i never had great battery life as i would always have to charge it everyday so i did tests thoes two days to get an idea of how long it lasts.

I really do think you might have a defective battery. Although I'm not using my phone every minute, I don't hesitate to use my browser when I need to, or check my e-mail. I text a lot, and have a varying number of phone calls on it every day. Probably the only day that I actually ran the battery out before I got back home was a day that a group of us were watching lots of youtube videos on our phones. That DID drain the battery after watching a few of them.

And again, I'm a big fan of Juice Defender in place of an app killer. My battery life has been so much better since I made that change.

Upvote 0
It looks like some unfortunate folks are getting defective batteries in smart-phones, not just in Ally. I watched other battery forums like Droid 2, Droid X, Dinc, Fascinate. And the trend is similar over there. Most people are making through day time just fine, but some guys are getting dismal battery life like less than 8 hours though Dinc seems to have shorter battery in general. Any phones should be lasting more than 8 hours easily even without optimizing settings. If it doesn't, battery or phone might be defective.

Upvote 0
I broke my Eris over the weekend, I was able to get an early upgrade and since I am not working, the Ally was only $50 for me, so I grabbed it. (REALLY wanted the Droid 2) I've had my Ally for 2 days now. My battery went from around 80% last night at 11pm, to less then 30% by 8am. I was sleeping, so the phone was not in use at all.

Although I do barely get a stable 3G signal and it's always dropping to 1x, which might be why the battery is dying so fast; searching for a signal. :/

I'm hoping that flashing Velocity's 0.2 rom and baseband update will help...because I feel like I was screwed.

Upvote 0
If you are in low signal area, that could happen. Also any weather, new updating widgets drain battery even while in sleep mode. Turning off auto-sync for emails, SNS can help, but I don't do that. Ally's battery seems to be getting better after couple weeks.

I normally leave mine plugged to charger overnight. But if I just leave it sleeping, now it loses about 15% overnight. This is without any weather, news, RSS kind of widgets in good signal area. Mine is now about 50 days since I bought it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones