• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How long for the battery to start performing?

biondi

Lurker
Apr 20, 2010
Hi,

I received my Desire on Saturday, I'm not very happy with the battery performance at all so far. All automatic updates are off and 3G/Wifi disabled. Yesterday I unplugged it at 0630 (at 100% battery), and despite very little use it was totally drained by 4pm. Today I haven't used it at all (as a test) and it looks like it's only going to be fractionally better. When I check the Battery stats for today 'Cell Standby' is at 74% and 'Phone idle' is at 18%.
My question is, 3 days into ownership is this poor performance normal or do you think there's a problem with the battery?

Cheers,

Matt

have bought mine at friday..1st charge same night (could not hold back and not "play" with it :p )
till now i have not allowed my phone to work "normaly" i browse the internet most of the day using wi-fi also have n1 live wallpaper and all screens are kind of full with widgets.. i can see in the settings->about phone ->battery that i have 5 more green square thinkys out of 10 (so 50%?) and my device is 1d 1h 28mins since unplugged...
so by what i have experineced so far i thing that with a moderate usage you can pull out like 3-4 days without recharging your desire..or not?

Upvote 0
got mine on thursday, charged using HTC charger over night, then used heavy with apps, gmail etc ovr the weekend, making sure I ran battery down during the day and fully charging overnight.

Each day i was noticing it lasting more and it took more to run it down, using skymaps and the camera flash to do so

Did this till yesterday morning at 7.30am, never charged last night and my battery is currently sitting at 13% as of 4.35pm, so will charge again overnight.

One thing I did notice, battery took bigger drop when wifi on & browsing, than when browsing through my data package.

Defo seeing performace getting better over this 1st week, 2 days normal use or 1 day heavy use is more than fine for me.

Upvote 0
got mine on thursday, charged using HTC charger over night, then used heavy with apps, gmail etc ovr the weekend, making sure I ran battery down during the day and fully charging overnight.

Each day i was noticing it lasting more and it took more to run it down, using skymaps and the camera flash to do so

Did this till yesterday morning at 7.30am, never charged last night and my battery is currently sitting at 13% as of 4.35pm, so will charge again overnight.

One thing I did notice, battery took bigger drop when wifi on & browsing, than when browsing through my data package.

Defo seeing performance getting better over this 1st week, 2 days normal use or 1 day heavy use is more than fine for me.

further update - been off charge since 7.30am, mobile data on & updating weather, gmail etc, used for calls and texts and its now 3.30pm and still got 81% left.

More than happy with how this is performing as time goes on

Upvote 0
further update - been off charge since 7.30am, mobile data on & updating weather, gmail etc, used for calls and texts and its now 3.30pm and still got 81% left.

More than happy with how this is performing as time goes on

like wise, mine came off charge at the same time this morning, with wifi on all day, push exchange, constant checking of gmail, listening to music for half hour, facebook, i've still got 86% battery left! well impressed! makes a difference using the proper htc charger. going to invest in a 1000ma car charger as well to replace my current usb charger

Upvote 0
Yep, well mine has changed dramatically since I started this thread. Unplugged at 0630 this morning, quite heavy usage and 13 hours later my battery is only down 2 bars. Similar usage on my ex-iphone and it would've been dead by now.
Originally I was charging the desire via usb, as soon as I switched to mains I saw a massive improvement. I may not even have to charge this thing daily which I'm pretty impressed with.

Upvote 0
gotta say I am not unimpressed by the battery, although I was a little worried when I first read this thread while waiting for it to arrive (Easter weekend). I've now had it 2 weeks and it will last a full 24hrs with 'moderate' use. I am careful to set it up for different use, as its functionality needs (i.e. gps/Wifi off when not needed).
I am pretty happy...
OK, I'm ecstatic!

Upvote 0
Yep, well mine has changed dramatically since I started this thread. Unplugged at 0630 this morning, quite heavy usage and 13 hours later my battery is only down 2 bars. Similar usage on my ex-iphone and it would've been dead by now.
Originally I was charging the desire via usb, as soon as I switched to mains I saw a massive improvement. I may not even have to charge this thing daily which I'm pretty impressed with.

So what you are saying is that it is better to charge on mains instead of USB?

I have to charge it every day (I have Desire for 4 days now), the battery holds only about 17h wake time (from that is 4h awake time).

Upvote 0
So what you are saying is that it is better to charge on mains instead of USB?

I have to charge it every day (I have Desire for 4 days now), the battery holds only about 17h wake time (from that is 4h awake time).

definately, and use the HTC charger and not a generic usb one as i used my spare one to charge at work and it took forever and the battery then drained fairly quickly. The HTC charger outputs twice the power as a standard usb charger so it charges faster (and from the looks of things more cleanly!)

Upvote 0
like wise, mine came off charge at the same time this morning, with wifi on all day, push exchange, constant checking of gmail, listening to music for half hour, facebook, i've still got 86% battery left! well impressed! makes a difference using the proper htc charger. going to invest in a 1000ma car charger as well to replace my current usb charger
Just hit 4 bars of use (of the full battery status bar) in 6 hours with wifi off and under moderate usage with all usage across 3G. Had it for 2 weeks now with all but 1 or 2 charges from the mains.

Syncs:
Facebook set to once a day
Weather every 6 hours
Hotmail 3 times a day
1 news feed every 4 hours (would be once a day but 4 is the limit)
Gmail

Services:
Obex
3G Watchdog
Connectivity
GTalk
Touch Input

Doesn't sound too good to me.

Upvote 0
Another Desire noob with battery questions here i'm afraid. Any help would be most appreciated though!

Got my Desire about 3 and bit days ago and while it's absolutely amazing the battery life is concerning me a little.

When I first got it I was sorting out the initial full charge and accidently turned it on (the place to open the back case is too close to the on button!) I turned it off immediately (didn't run the setup routine or anything) then did the full first charge. Although the light went green on it in only about 2.5 hours. I left it in anyway for a few hours more before I used it though.

Since then the battery seems to go down very fast on usage. I did a full discharge (used it till it ran out) and did a full charge again yesterday, but that only took roughly 3 hours.

Last night I left it on over night, in standby with all unnecessarys off (Wi-fi, gps) and it only went down to 96% overnight.

I used it then for about 1 hour (marketplace, trying apps etc) and it used about 30% in roughly 55 mins.

Is that normal? Anyone able to give me an indication of what kind of %per min I should get?

I've been through the threads here and using the various tips mentioned, task killing, using official charger, no live wallpapers, wi-fi only when using.

I know it's supposed to get better over time, but I wasn't sure if this is still normal initial behaviour?

Like I said i'm a noob but any pointers would be great!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones