• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How long to charge for the first time?

To condition or not to condition, that is the question lol

I have followed these instructions for several years, with good results, with both OEM, and 3rd party batteries. I have also "not" fully followed these instructions and had decent results.

From the Seidio website for the Note's extended battery:

http://www.seidioonline.com/samsung-galaxy-note-5000-extended-life-battery-p/bacy50ssgnt-bk.htm

"In order to obtain the full capacity of your Seidio battery, we highly recommend that you leave the battery/your phone on the charger for an additional 2-3 hours after the charging indicator turns green or the battery status shows full. Continue for 5-6 charging cycles for optimal performance."

Upvote 0
I have followed these instructions for several years, with good results, with both OEM, and 3rd party batteries. I have also "not" fully followed these instructions and had decent results.

From the Seidio website for the Note's extended battery:

SEIDIO | Innocell Super Extended Life Battery for Samsung Galaxy Note

"In order to obtain the full capacity of your Seidio battery, we highly recommend that you leave the battery/your phone on the charger for an additional 2-3 hours after the charging indicator turns green or the battery status shows full. Continue for 5-6 charging cycles for optimal performance."
So are you saying that we should follow what the siedo link says to do?

Upvote 0
Droid, you do not have to follow that nonsense. They use that disclaimer so you cant say any ssues you have are related to their battery, Seidio has been doing this ever since so many people reported their batteries lasted no longer than the OEM battery does.

All of "my" Seidio extended batteries performed longer than the OEM, on a 1:1 between mAh rating as and screen time. Of the dozen or so additional batteries, for various brands I've bought, all have displayed longer idle run-time following the first few charge cycles. I've also bought new batteries which caused the phone to reboot after a few days use...YMMV.

Upvote 0
All of "my" Seidio extended batteries performed longer than the OEM, on a 1:1 between mAh rating as and screen time. Of the dozen or so additional batteries, for various brands I've bought, all have displayed longer idle run-time following the first few charge cycles. I've also bought new batteries which caused the phone to reboot after a few days use...YMMV.

I never had a battery from them that performed or lasted longer than the battery that came with the phone and their replacement battery wasn't any better.

I started buying extended batteries back when you couldn't get thru 1/2 a day without looking for a charger and at $70 they better be better than what shipped with the phone.

Upvote 0
Funny how we can buy these phones on contract for $300, $700 off contact, pay $60-200+ a month for plans, $20+ on cases, $50 or more on headphones, and stress over battery life (physical life). You know replacement batteries are about $30. Replace it once a year and who cares.

Upvote 0
Funny how we can buy these phones on contract for $300, $700 off contact, pay $60-200+ a month for plans, $20+ on cases, $50 or more on headphones, and stress over battery life (physical life). You know replacement batteries are about $30. Replace it once a year and who cares.

You're forgetting there was a time when batteries weren't as cheap as they are now. Back then it became a standard to have multiple chargers everywhere.
Now we just want a spare battery; not because they're dying faster, but so we have the convenience of switching out without being tethered to a cord.

Upvote 0
Wow how little so many seem to know about batteries. Granted they are not the old NiCads but they do still have memory. What you need to do with any new battery is something called conditioning (look it up to gather more detail)
Ok do not charge your battery the first time until it completely dies. Then charge the battery fully. Repeat this process not charging or connecting the device to USB 5x. Fully charge and slowly discharge. Then once a month make sure to completely discharge then recharge the device. A program called "battery discharge" will help with this but I suggest only using it under 15% as you want to slowly discharge the battery and not let it heat up. I suggest not using the device as a phone for a week and just stroll the Internet or play games so as you are not tempted to prematurely charge the device. I have a G2 that is 3 years old and it holds a charge like it was brand new. My Sensation is the same.

Thanks about how I always charge mine, but you added a couple extra steps.. Looks good, I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, 10.1 coming in the mail tomorrow and I was searching how to get the best battery life out of it..after quite a bit of searching, I found your post and it's the best one I've found. I copied and pasted it to my notepad so I can access it fast tomorrow when my tablet arrives..
Thanks again bro,
kn0t

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones