• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How many GNs have you gone through?

still on my release day phone. i'm befuddled that some of you would go through so many of the same phone as many times as you have. in my 7 years of smart phone ownership i've had about a dozen different models and never been through more than 2 of any 1 phone.

if i was more ocd about some of the issues perhaps i could have gone through the multiple exchange cycle on some of them, but i guess i'm just not that anal about this stuff.

at what point do you decide to just move on??

Reactions: Outatime
Upvote 0
still on my release day phone. i'm befuddled that some of you would go through so many of the same phone as many times as you have. in my 7 years of smart phone ownership i've had about a dozen different models and never been through more than 2 of any 1 phone.

if i was more ocd about some of the issues perhaps i could have gone through the multiple exchange cycle on some of them, but i guess i'm just not that anal about this stuff.

at what point do you decide to just move on??

I've actually be quite lucky with my smartphones like you have. In fact I've never had to exchange my phones. However even on the OG Droid I've seen some that have had to exchange multiple times to get one that worked. On the OG Droid the biggest issue I saw the phone being returned multiple times until it was right was a loose head phone jack.

Upvote 0
I've actually be quite lucky with my smartphones like you have. In fact I've never had to exchange my phones. However even on the OG Droid I've seen some that have had to exchange multiple times to get one that worked. On the OG Droid the biggest issue I saw the phone being returned multiple times until it was right was a loose head phone jack.

is it really luck though? since i, like you, haven't be through the return cycles some have i guess i'm just wondering aloud... not saying that other people don't have real issues, because there are truly defective phones out there.

i just suspect that some issues they think are fixed by returning the phone (signal, battery life, etc) are placebos or coincidental to other things going on with vzw networks, sw/app updates, etc.

other than hardware defects, like screen problems or buttons falling off, perhaps patience is key?

Upvote 0
I only went thru 1. Didnt wait around for any fixes, or try to exchange it for another one.

I consider myself lucky with phones too. And after exchanging the G Nex for the Rezound, the issue I had with the G Nex is not there on the Rezound. Its also not there on the RAZR I have. All 1st phones...

Sometimes....it might be best to try another phone manufacture. Cuz me personally...after 2-3 exchanges...I would be on to another manufacture.

Upvote 0
I think some folks are just too impatient to fully test, explore the features of phone before making move on exchange for the same or another. Mine has improved quite a bit on battery after first 10 days. Now it's holding onto 4G better in the areas that were previously less than good, and 3G/4G hand-off seems more smooth. Is it because VZW did something on LTE network recently to stabilize it, or now my Nexus is fully optimized, configured properly? I don't know.

I'm not saying there aren't some really faulty ones hardware wise like screen, camera, battery. But it seems like some folks are deciding to exchange too fast. I'm feeling much better on mine and hopefully it will get even better with updates soon. Quite often a little more patience pays off a lot.

Upvote 0
Why is it that people complain about 4G or 3G and call quality. Neither have one thing to do with your call quality. The only problem I have with call quality is low volume and my short term fix is the app Volume + for free. It has boosted it enough to solve the software problem for now. Hopefully it is a gain issue that can be fixed in software. As for call reception. That is a radio problem and again more than likely it can also be fixed with a software patch. We will all know when the next software hits the market.If that does not solve the problems then VZW will have some Angry Birds on their hands.

Upvote 0
With my Fascinate, WiFi drained my battery like nobody's business. It literally cut my browsing and streaming time in half. Not to mention the signal is better (and dual band supported) on the Gnex. It picks up my 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands from my router. So far the distance on my 2.4GHz band is quite good on the Gnex. I am super happy with the WiFi browsing time though. I'm pretty happy with the Galaxy Nexus so far in general. I love wowing people with it.

^^This. I also noticed WiFi performance on Nexus is excellent. Picks up fast, holding it well, good for battery. It seems to help battery a little even when not connected to WiFi source. Also I'm very impressed with GPS performance, very fast and accurate.

Upvote 0
Went to the VZW store in Winston-Salem yesterday to get my third Nexus. I ordered it online so both times I returned it they had a hard time getting stuff to work on the computer. The first one had a really bad screen. The second one had the speaker quit working a couple days ago. For some reason they couldn't give me a new one at the store even though they had it in stock. I had it shipped overnight and should get it today. Hopefully they didn't lie and send me a pre-owned one.

Upvote 0
Went to the VZW store in Winston-Salem yesterday to get my third Nexus. I ordered it online so both times I returned it they had a hard time getting stuff to work on the computer. The first one had a really bad screen. The second one had the speaker quit working a couple days ago. For some reason they couldn't give me a new one at the store even though they had it in stock. I had it shipped overnight and should get it today. Hopefully they didn't lie and send me a pre-owned one.

The chances of that happening with such a new device are still pretty low, but as we get closer to the 6-8 month period I expect that to happen more often.

Upvote 0
The chances of that happening with such a new device are still pretty low, but as we get closer to the 6-8 month period I expect that to happen more often.

Got mine in the mail yesterday and it's a certified "like-new" device. Since it's my third phone, I can tell exactly what it was returned for originally. The volume rocker is a little loose and rattles when you touch it. Oh well I guess I can live with it for two years.

Upvote 0
Got mine in the mail yesterday and it's a certified "like-new" device. Since it's my third phone, I can tell exactly what it was returned for originally. The volume rocker is a little loose and rattles when you touch it. Oh well I guess I can live with it for two years.
That seems like a common issue with the GN (Samsungs in general I think since my Fascinate had a similar issue).

#1 Exchange: Volume rocker rattled. Seemed like a common issue but wanted to see if I could get lucky.
#2 Exchange: Rocker rattled less and overall happy with the reception but had a thick green horizontal strip on any settings screen. Was even noticeable on low brightness.
#3 Exchange: Arriving Friday. Wish me luck!

Upvote 0
That seems like a common issue with the GN (Samsungs in general I think since my Fascinate had a similar issue).

#1 Exchange: Volume rocker rattled. Seemed like a common issue but wanted to see if I could get lucky.
#2 Exchange: Rocker rattled less and overall happy with the reception but had a thick green horizontal strip on any settings screen. Was even noticeable on low brightness.
#3 Exchange: Arriving Friday. Wish me luck!

My wife, my brother, my dad, my sister and I all got Fascinates back in the day. Out of the five of us my dad replaced his (bad signal everywhere - he would have 2 bars right next to my Fascinate that had 5, and he would constantly drop). My sister's and my wife's Fascinates just died. They were replaced under the 1 year warranty. We all like (or still like) our Fascinates, but 3 out of 5 is pretty bad...

Upvote 0
I must not be picky or something because I'm still on my original GNex. I haven't seen any problems (occasional connectivity, crappy battery life, that's it) which can't be fixed via software. I figure we still haven't really seen any updates yet. With no showstoppers, I'll wait and see how Google addresses my issues.

To each their own, I'm not judging.

Upvote 0
I must not be picky or something because I'm still on my original GNex. I haven't seen any problems (occasional connectivity, crappy battery life, that's it) which can't be fixed via software. I figure we still haven't really seen any updates yet. With no showstoppers, I'll wait and see how Google addresses my issues.

To each their own, I'm not judging.

I think I'm the same way, heck my Daughter is still using my original OG Droid. :p

Upvote 0
I'm still on my first one that I bought a week after release day. It must be a good one since I don't see any major issue or I'm less picky than others.

I feel sorry for some others having trouble here. But I think sample on this forum is too small to figure out how bad the QC of Nexus is. Things like defective screen, camera, battery can still happen. but semi-conductor chips like AP, memory, radio chip go through rigorous testing in production these days, so QC of those parts is fairly consistent. maybe there are some assembly issues?

Upvote 0
Headed to get #2 today. Current one drops all data and voice 5-10 times a day, which doesnt happen on a friends and happens even if im sitting still. Definitely a hardware issue so patience wont fix anything.

Just so you know, I'm seeing 3G drop in and out, too, especially yesterday was bad. At first I suspected my phone, or one of these custom kernels I'm playing with, but I found out that my wife (with a different phone) and a friend of mine have been seeing their Verizon 3G service cut out at roughly the same times as I have, and intermittently in general this month. I have heard verizon is rushing their LTE rollout here as ahead of schedule as possible, so it could be because of that, perhaps, but I think that at least in my area the 3G is just dropping a bit here and there. Today it's been perfect so far. I don't think it's my GNex anymore.

Upvote 0
Just so you know, I'm seeing 3G drop in and out, too, especially yesterday was bad. At first I suspected my phone, or one of these custom kernels I'm playing with, but I found out that my wife (with a different phone) and a friend of mine have been seeing their Verizon 3G service cut out at roughly the same times as I have, and intermittently in general this month. I have heard verizon is rushing their LTE rollout here as ahead of schedule as possible, so it could be because of that, perhaps, but I think that at least in my area the 3G is just dropping a bit here and there. Today it's been perfect so far. I don't think it's my GNex anymore.
Mine is soley with the LTE radio. My CDMA is rock solid.

At first I thought the same thing but I am 100% sure it is my phone now I will be sitting across the table from a friend with a GNex, both with 3-4 bars of 4G and my phone will drop all connectivity. Drops 4G and loses voice as well so all radios are out for a short time. At the same time this is happening to me my friend across the table will never lose his 3-4 bars of 4G. It's happened to me atleast 9 times today...

Being such an issue, I visited Radioshack to get a replacement and they told me that if it had been over 30 days I may not recieve a replacement (website CLEARLY states 90 days, or until the manufacturers warrenty is up) and that I would have to call Radioshack.com because Radioshack.com is a 3rd party while Radioshack is not (lolwut?). So I call Radioshack.com customer care to have them tell me to visit the nearest Radioshack location...guess I know where I'm spending my day tomorrow..

Upvote 0
Mine is soley with the LTE radio. My CDMA is rock solid.

At first I thought the same thing but I am 100% sure it is my phone now I will be sitting across the table from a friend with a GNex, both with 3-4 bars of 4G and my phone will drop all connectivity. Drops 4G and loses voice as well so all radios are out for a short time. At the same time this is happening to me my friend across the table will never lose his 3-4 bars of 4G. It's happened to me atleast 9 times today...

Being such an issue, I visited Radioshack to get a replacement and they told me that if it had been over 30 days I may not recieve a replacement (website CLEARLY states 90 days, or until the manufacturers warrenty is up) and that I would have to call Radioshack.com because Radioshack.com is a 3rd party while Radioshack is not (lolwut?). So I call Radioshack.com customer care to have them tell me to visit the nearest Radioshack location...guess I know where I'm spending my day tomorrow..

Good luck! I hope you get a good radio...Costco didn't get any in today, so hopefully tomorrow they will and I get a good radio as well! And a good screen... :cool:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones