• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How many of you use a task killer?

ATK running all the time is bad, mmmk. Let Android do its job. Use one the way bwillie007 said to, mmmk.

But you can get VERY good results by controlling what you allow to start up in the first place, mmmk.

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/102336-real-app-startup-control.html

Note that like others that I thought were smoking crack, I'm now getting great performance.

Mmmk.

(Yeah - South Park fan.;))

Upvote 0
no it messed up my GPS, everytime I would open sprint nav or google nav it phone reboot the phone. Thanks to someone here that posted a tip saying ATK might have screwed it up. It def did, phone has been running fine without it. Of course the one time I went to use Nav I was in downtown minneapolis and my phone reboots itself. Grrrr, I hard reset after I got home and haven't had trouble since. I have not re-installed atk nor am I planning on it.

Upvote 0
I didn't but I do now. I think the services from some of the apps that run in the background are killing the battery. I had no idea that "Where" was starting a service when I'd open it. And it's fine that it does, but dangit when I close the app I want the service to stop and it doesn't.

Well with ATK it stops now. :D

Upvote 0
A task "running", more like loaded into memory, using 0% of the CPU process is not going to run your battery down. All I can offer this thread is to go read the thread attached to my signature. There has been overwhelming recommendations to not use them. There are other solutions if you must look at your applications loaded into memory. This isn't windows. There is a program called Astro File Manager that can list the loaded processes and if you notice most if not all are running at 0% CPU. If Android needs the memory it will kill the app for you. The only time I have ever needed to kill an app was when it was locked up or I was making default browser proxy changes and needed to reload it. Even then a reboot would fix it.

Just my .2 cents.

Upvote 0
I have one installed but I dont run it in automated kill mode. I just set it to ignore everything but the bloatware that starts when you turn on the phone and use the one button widget to kill those apps. Or use that button to kill wayward apps.

But never use it in automated mode, I think that would cause issues if you ended up killing a service.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones