• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How many rooting methods are there for android(Samsung) ?

I cant find an answer to this question no matter how much i search. From what I found online, the only rooting methods that exist are Magisk, SuperSU and rooting apps(correct me if im wrong). The info that I read said that SuperSU and rooting apps don't work anymore and Magisk is the only rooting method that is used and that works today. Is that true? I know that the rooting apps are dead and there is no way they would work. Does the same apply for SuperSU? Would trying to root modern android versions like 11,12 and 13 with SuperSU work?
SO Is Magisk the only rooting method today for android 11, android 12 and android 13? or are there other methods? Can you root a modern android phone, specifically Samsung with another method other than magisk? Basically my main question are there more rooting methods other than Magisk, SuperSU and rooting apps? If there are, what are they and do they work on modern android versions?

it depends mainly on the device. not all devices are rootable. majority of samsung devices with the snapdragon processor have a bootloader that is pretty locked down. some of the older snapdragon devices can be rooted, but most of the current devices are not. the exynos processors are more easily rooted as the bootloader is unlocked. getting the bootloader unlocked is the first step to rooting. the next is to grant access to the system files which is what SU used to do back in the day. Magisk is the tool that does this now. but you can't use it until the bootloader is unlocked.

so it depends on the device and thus you can't generalize rooting like you are trying to do.

Upvote 0
@ocnbrze Yes I know that only exynos devices are rootable. And of course this question is about modern exynos devices with modern android os versions 11,12,13 that can be rooted. Now before i get back to my question, good thing that you mentioned the bootloader. I was wondering, since when is unlocking the bootloader a requirement to root your device? Is there a specific android version that made unlocking bootloader a prerequisite? Is it possible to root a modern android os version(11,12,13) without unlocking the bootloader? from what i could find online it was only possible when rooting apps where still a thing. But what about today? Back to my question, what Im curious about is other than Magisk, SuperSU and rooting apps, are there other rooting methods?

Upvote 0
@ocnbrze Yes I know that only exynos devices are rootable. And of course this question is about modern exynos devices with modern android os versions 11,12,13 that can be rooted. Now before i get back to my question, good thing that you mentioned the bootloader. I was wondering, since when is unlocking the bootloader a requirement to root your device? Is there a specific android version that made unlocking bootloader a prerequisite? Is it possible to root a modern android os version(11,12,13) without unlocking the bootloader? from what i could find online it was only possible when rooting apps where still a thing. But what about today? Back to my question, what Im curious about is other than Magisk, SuperSU and rooting apps, are there other rooting methods?
Magisk is what allows you access to the root of the system, but it is not the complete method. and unlocking the bootloader have been there from the start.

my very first android device was the HTC Hero and then the HTC Evo 4g which was my first device rooting. for the htc Evo 4G, you had to run Revolutionary to get the bootloader to s-off.....similar to unlocking the bootloader in smasung and other devices. after you get s-off, then you would run SU to gain root access.

it is more or less the same for current samsung devices with the exynos chip.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones