• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to check if I have sent a sms to someone before?

spman

Android Enthusiast
Feb 26, 2013
When I am creating a new sms to a person, I do not know if I have sent sms to him before. Only after sending a message then I can see the chat history appearing on top.

For example if I am send an sms to someone, I want to read the previous sms history that I chatted that number first before sending a new sms because I might have asked the same question before and he has already answered. (sometimes I send a few questions to a few ads)

I am using Samsung S4 default sms app.

How to know if I have sent a sms to someone before? How to display the sms history of a number?

Thanks

Most SMS apps will retain the history for a very long time if you don't delete the conversation.

My suggestion is, don't delete any conversation with a "real contact" if what you say is important to you.

For me, it isn't.... I delete conversations with folks whom I have not talked to recently. One page full of names is usually more than enough for me.

If the contact you are "going to" send an SMS is not in your "history list", there is no way to determine what you may have said before..... and why would it matter? Anything over 24 hours old is just about useless.

Upvote 0
Most SMS apps will retain the history for a very long time if you don't delete the conversation.

My suggestion is, don't delete any conversation with a "real contact" if what you say is important to you.

For me, it isn't.... I delete conversations with folks whom I have not talked to recently. One page full of names is usually more than enough for me.

If the contact you are "going to" send an SMS is not in your "history list", there is no way to determine what you may have said before..... and why would it matter? Anything over 24 hours old is just about useless.

I did not delete any history. I have many histories inside the sms app and I am do not want to waste a long time to scroll to find if I have sms the number before inside my sms whole history list of messages.

If you have created a new sms inside the Samsung default sms app, you will know what I mean.

Lets say I want to sms to this number 12346789, in the [messages] app I will tap the create a new sms icon, enter the number 12346789 and start typing my message, at this point of time I am unable to see any history of 12346789 and I do not know if I have sent any sms to him before. How to see the history of this number 12346789 ?

Upvote 0
How do you use Textra to check if you have sent an sms to a contact number before?

Simply because there will be a SMS/Text thread for that ph# unless you delete "the conversation" yourself.

This will only work though, for any SMS that has occurred since Textra or other SMS app has been installed.

For myself? once the messages cease to be of value, I delete them anyway. I only keep current message threads alive on the phone.
Especially if they happen to have a lot of photos buried among the messages. I just delete that thread and move on with life.

Upvote 0
Simply because there will be a SMS/Text thread for that ph# unless you delete "the conversation" yourself.

This will only work though, for any SMS that has occurred since Textra or other SMS app has been installed.

Seems like Textra actually works the same way like the normal default SMS app in S4.

If you have created a new sms inside the Samsung default sms app, you will know what I mean.

Lets say I want to sms to this number 12346789, in the [messages] app I will tap the create a new sms icon, enter the number 12346789 and start typing my message, at this point of time I am unable to see any history of 12346789 and I do not know if I have sent any sms to him before.

I sms to many ads at the same time so I do not want to repeat the same sms to the same number without knowing. E.g. If I sms "What is the price of the bike" to this number 12346789, I want the app to prompt me if I have sms to him before and show me the history just before I send.

The only way now is to search the number first to see if I have sms before, which will take a long time if I am smsing a lot.

Upvote 0
Why not just open your messaging app and click on the message and read what you have already sent?
If you aren't deleting your messages then all you have to do is open the app and look at the messages for each contact.

If you are using samsung default sms app and have read through my questions here, you will know what I am asking about.

I have over hundreds of sms in my history. It will be wasting my time to search if I have sms to the person before. Lets say I saw an ad today "Bike for sale, please contact 22334455", I would just send an sms to 22334455 to ask "what is the price of your bike" (without knowing if I had sent any sms to him before or not), it is a waste of time to look through all my sms to check if I had sent to 22334455 before. I might have already sent "what is the price of your bike" to that same guy 22334455 last month when I saw his ad, so I do not want to send any sms to him again today since it is the same person.

Upvote 0
Simple really. Go to contacts. Look for the person. Open contact. Tap the message button. Voila you are in your thread with the person can see the past messages.

Another way is to open the message app, tap thr menu button, select search. Type the person's name/number. Click on the search result. And you are in that person's thread.

NVM. Re-read the thread. My answers weren't what you need. Although AFAIK what you're looking for isn't available to my knowledge, mainly because the makers didn't think like you do. In my case for example, using your scenario. If I see an ad for a bike on sale, and wondering if I sent a message to that person before, I'd be hitting the search box and not new mesaage.

Reactions: spman and tube517
Upvote 0
@spman

what you are asking for just simply is not available in Android.
you must live on CL, I SMS a lot, and have never had your problem....
the only things I care about are current SMS threads, I delete the old threads to get them off the screen.

the only way Android is going to have a 'history' is for you to have a current thread...
I have never, ever, seen a history pop up when entering just the phone number as you are showing.

IMO, you are going to have to keep a log on the side somewhere of whom you send an SMS to, and that would be time consuming... just not worth the effort, if you send someone the same ?? twice, what harm is there?

Upvote 0
I have an LG G Stylo (Metropcs)
SMS App: Hangouts

If I go to Contacts, Select the name, Select the "messaging" icon, Hangouts will open and go to the thread of the person I selected. The entire history is there.

Now, I don't use the default LG text app, but I just tested it and it shows the text history of the person I chose.

EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't read Chan's reply above. However, this is what I do to see previous history.

Upvote 0
Lets say I want to sms to this number 12346789, in the [messages] app I will tap the create a new sms icon, enter the number 12346789 and start typing my message, at this point of time I am unable to see any history of 12346789 and I do not know if I have sent any sms to him before.

I just tested on my phone. I tap the create a new sms icon, Once I type the number, it pops up as a choice and then I choose the number. The history shows immediately.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones