• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to clear the notification on the top taskbar

Moto Mike

Lurker
Aug 23, 2019
Hello All,

I recently purchased a Google Pixel 3A and I am new to the Android OS. I am having a slight annoying problem with the notification status. On the screensaver and top taskbar displays a notification of an app so tapping on notification opens the app. After responding to the message, the status of the notification is still there even though I already dealt with the notification. I have to clear the notification by swiping left or clicking on clear all. Is there a way to clear the notification without manually trying to clear it?

Thanks for any suggestions.

What app is this? It depends on what sort of notification it is, e.g. new message notifications should clear at a tap (which will take you to the app), while a calendar reminder or ToDo might not until you clear it, and a persistent notification might not be clearable except by killing the app or changing its status. And all of these have valid uses. So the answer will depend on what app and what type of notification.

But if it is a new message notification then from what you've said it sounds like the app is not behaving correctly. Which app is this, and (to be certain) what is the notification saying?

Upvote 0
Well if you name the app someone might know whether this is normal for the app or not.

In general message notifications clear when you read the message - this works fine for email, SMS, even Facebook notifications (Facebook is my go-to example of a poorly-written app: it's quite happy to post a notification for a story that you read an hour ago, which is one reason I turn notifications off for the wretched thing). So if this app isn't doing that the best advice I can give at the moment is to contact the app developer, since it sounds like they are not handling notifications correctly (or at least not in the way you expect. There isn't a system setting for this, the app developer has chosen how they are cleared (or not), so unless there is a setting in the app it will be up to them to correct it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones