• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to control SIM connection without physically removing SIM from Android

ajdkfne

Lurker
Jun 22, 2023
The SIM detachable part is sealed due to personal circumstances, but I wonder if there is a way to display NO SIM through the settings.
I'm wondering if there is a way to actually make it appear as if there is no SIM, other than setting airplane mode.

My school prevents the use of the SIM on the tablet, and seals the detachable part of the SIM with a sticker. I have a spare sticker, so I plan to reattach the sticker after inserting a new SIM. I wonder if there is a way to make it appear as if the SIM is not inserted even when the tablet is turned on.

Upvote 0
My school prevents the use of the SIM on the tablet, and seals the detachable part of the SIM with a sticker. I have a spare sticker, so I plan to reattach the sticker after inserting a new SIM. I wonder if there is a way to make it appear as if the SIM is not inserted even when the tablet is turned on.

Now I understand what you are trying to do. It's probably not worth the trouble you'll get into if you get caught

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

Really?? Are you in North Korea or something? I've been in many schools, and they either allow students to use tablets and smart-phones or they prohibit them. I've never heard of anything like that in any school, college, or university.

Reactions: ocnbrze and AugieTN
Upvote 0
My problem is that as an educator myself, amongst other things, I'm not comfortable with advising on how to break your school's rules. (I'm also not sure whether this is OK within the forum rules: it's not explicitly forbidden, but doesn't feel in line with the general spirit of them).

I will say that there is no way of doing this through the settings.

Reactions: AugieTN and olbriar
Upvote 0
Assuming since your tablet has been set up to use a restricted SIM, your school district's IT department has some sort of MDM in place to restrict WiFi connectivity too, forcing the use of a managed and monitored cellular service.
If that's the situation, I'd give up trying to force this tablet to be used for your own personal needs and just get your own personal tablet. If budget is a priority, hopefully a used one might work out?

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones