• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to delete contacts imported by Facebook?

I'm working my way through the same problem, although I've ended up permanently wiping a few of my contacts in the process :mad:

As quick as I am to stop facebook for htc sense from syncing, once it starts it finishes even though you tell it not to.
To get around this:

Go to settings > accounts and sync > deselect auto-sync, then deselect background data.

Add your accounts as necessary, they'll not automatically sync.
Go back into settings > wireless and networks and enable airplane mode

You can now go back to accounts and sync, re-enable background data and auto-sync then disable the specific auto sync settings.

Then finally disable airplane mode and it should all be syncing properly!

Hope this saves someone from going insane trying to set it up and beat the auto-sync.

Thank you so much drhunter! It works! I have finally solved the unwanted contacts storage problem!

Upvote 0
If you go to Settings -> Accounts and Sync -> Facebook and click the Remove Account button, you will unlink facebook from your phone contacts and they will no longer appear there.

I really wish there was a way to only sync contacts which are already in the phonebook so you could get their facebook profile pics without getting a bunch of unwanted contacts.

Thank you this worked,appreciate you putting info on on net.I was going crazy trying to get it off my phone:).

Upvote 0
Hi Guys,

I've just got the new HTC One X with ICS and I had the same problem with all the facebook contacts still remaining in the 'Phone' section.

It sounds to me like the problem might be solved already but incase anyone comes here looking for a solution like I did then this is what worked for me:

Go to your phone settings > Accounts & Sync > Facebook > Remove (up the top right).

then follow the instuctions from Gizmodo about removing your facebook contact.

EDIT: This is my first post so I can't add links so just google 'remove facebook contacts from phone' and for me it was the second item.

Once you've done this, wait a couple of minutes (not sure if needed but facebook said it might take a couple of minutes to delete my contacts) then go back to your phone and run facebook, sign in but make sure you click 'Do Not Sync'.

Good Luck Guys, hopefully I don't get an update somewhere along the way which undoes all my hard work.

Upvote 0
I'm working my way through the same problem, although I've ended up permanently wiping a few of my contacts in the process :mad:

As quick as I am to stop facebook for htc sense from syncing, once it starts it finishes even though you tell it not to.
To get around this:

Go to settings > accounts and sync > deselect auto-sync, then deselect background data.

Add your accounts as necessary, they'll not automatically sync.
Go back into settings > wireless and networks and enable airplane mode

You can now go back to accounts and sync, re-enable background data and auto-sync then disable the specific auto sync settings.

Then finally disable airplane mode and it should all be syncing properly!

Hope this saves someone from going insane trying to set it up and beat the auto-sync.
Thank you!!! I have been trying to get rid of the Facebook accts for weeks and tried all kinds of solutions. This one really worked :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones