• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to disable fingerprint after failed attempts.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 and in the past month the device has reset itself in my pocket twice. This means it wipes out everything including files and photos in my SD card. I have seen that the device turns on due to some push in the home button and when the phone brushes against my trousers, it registers fingerprint and eventually gets reset.

The behavior with LG or HTC is different since these devices disable the fingerprint after 4 attempts (I think) and you can only unlock with your backup password/pin.

How to prevent this reset? Please help.

Don't know a way to disable fingerprint but you can turn off auto factory reset here.

Settings>Lock screen and security>secure lock settings>Auto factory reset

Yes, I have already done that. But, it doesn't help since the reset is happening due to a policy imposed by the corporate email device admin which cannot be turned off.

Upvote 0
I don't think can. As you said the factory reset is happening due to a policy implemented by your company, not a phone setting, hence there is no setting for it that you can alter. Normally with autoreset disabled, the phone will ask for a PIN after the third failed attempt. You'd have to remove the security policy your company implemented which would put you in bad terms with them. I suggest just forgoing the fingerprint altogether, or try to speak with your company IT. This isn't an S7 issue rather something your company IT put on top of the usual security of the S7.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones