1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

General how to edit contact once saved to "Device"

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by goodie7, Sep 1, 2013.

1. goodie7

goodie7 New Member

Sep 1, 2013
    Hi,
    I have a Galaxy S4. The majority of my contacts were imported to my phone before I had a gmail account associated to my phone. As a result, they were all saved under "Device".

I have tried editing a contact, to change the location to "Sim Card" or my gmail account, but this option does not exist.
    I can edit all the other fields (name, mobile #, email, etc...) but not where the contact is saved.

I read online that When you add contacts to Device, they will not be synchronized to an Exchange ActiveSync

Advertisement

2. Darnell0216

Darnell0216 Well-Known Member

Device contacts are true isolationists. The only way to do it is to either export the contact and re-import them or copy them over manually.

goodie7 likes this.
  3. scott_

scott_ Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2011
    electrician
    Central Iowa
    I would also suggest the export/import option. That would probably be the easiest.

goodie7 likes this.
  4. SebaKL

SebaKL Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Interactive Designer/Developer
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    In addition to Scott's reply.
    Export the contacts to your SD card. Save them to computer. Open gmail using desktop, switch from gmail to contacts:
    [​IMG]

and under the MODE setting, you will find import option:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the future, upon saving new contact, select Google from the top menu bar. So they will sync automatically, as soon as you log in your next/new device with Google credentials.

goodie7 likes this.