• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

how to edit contact once saved to "Device"

goodie7

Lurker
Sep 1, 2013
Hi,
I have a Galaxy S4. The majority of my contacts were imported to my phone before I had a gmail account associated to my phone. As a result, they were all saved under "Device".

I have tried editing a contact, to change the location to "Sim Card" or my gmail account, but this option does not exist.
I can edit all the other fields (name, mobile #, email, etc...) but not where the contact is saved.

I read online that When you add contacts to Device, they will not be synchronized to an Exchange ActiveSync

I would also suggest the export/import option. That would probably be the easiest.

In addition to Scott's reply.
Export the contacts to your SD card. Save them to computer. Open gmail using desktop, switch from gmail to contacts:
VpyHzWA.gif

and under the MODE setting, you will find import option:

vdykeQt.gif

OzeT61E.gif

In the future, upon saving new contact, select Google from the top menu bar. So they will sync automatically, as soon as you log in your next/new device with Google credentials.

Reactions: goodie7
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones